Xitesmai

Hello from Blacksburg, VA

Greetings all!

I'm actually new to the sport of skydiving. I've only had one jump in my life but what a cool jump it was. I was able to jump with a special forces unit during my time in the Navy.

Now I'm looking to start jumping more regularly. I think the DZ I'll be going to is Skydive Orange in VA.

Any advice for an old (32yr) codger looking to ride the wind?

Any advice for an old (32yr) codger looking to ride the wind?

Yep, kiss your savings account goodbye!! ;)

In all seriousness, even if you're not jumping every weekend, you'll pick up a lot just being at the DZ. Watching landing patterns, how people/canopies react in the wind, etc.

Welcome!
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Probably spring. I'm also a Scuba diver and I was in BUDS so I know how extremities don't articulate as well in cold weather, and I've been in enough C-130s to know how cold a fuselage gets at altitude.

Can anyone point me in a direction so I can get some base knowledge prior to doing AFF?

Welcome! It's cool to see another military jumper in VA. I've been meaning to go down to Skydive Orange for a while now, but work has had other ideas for me! I think they use a Skyvan out at Skydive Orange which compared to a C-130 is like a slow, small, box version of a C-130 :P It's a good aircraft to jump from though.

Xitesmai - Out of curiosity what kind of jump was it with the SF unit while you were in the Navy? I myself am also brand new to skydiving and will begin my AFF this month at Virginia Skydiving Center. Orange is closer to me, but VSC had better prices and just ended up being my DZ of choice. Let me know how it is at Orange.

I am also a paratrooper in the USAR w/ 7 static line jumps so this freefall stuff should be quite interesting - I'm pretty damn excited.:D