AustinPhoenix

First Jump...hooked for life

I did my first tandem jump a couple of weeks ago and haven't stopped watching videos, posting pics, looking at skydiving training courses...

I live in Austin, TX and would love to meet other people involved in the sport. I like getting all of my ducks in a row (gear prices, rules, safety precautions, emergency techniques, etc) before doing anything. When I was thinking about getting a motorcycle, I spent weeks watching motorcycle crash films and videos to watch what they did wrong and what they did right. To this day, I have had zero accidents/lay downs/drops/etc probably because I was obsessed with learning how to be cautious before jumping into it.

I'm sure the school will go over precautions, but I'm a mental case and desire 10x more info than most people. Cautionary stuff aside, I'm totally intrigued by the gear choices, going to different DZs, taking trips across the country to jump, etc... I would love to meet some people to talk with about their experiences and favorite moments jumping if you're around.

Thanks Skymama! I see your posts everywhere on here.

Do you think it's bad to go somewhere else for my training other than the place that will be my main DZ? The only reason I ask is that a drop zone that's not too far from me (2 hours) records each jump and your instructor goes over each video with you after you land to correct mistakes and point things out. I don't think my main DZ does that. Do you think that would help?

I just did my first tandem a couple weeks ago and I'm in the same boat with you bro. Ive been going crazy on the youtube, uspa site, here and everywhere i can learn everything i can! I can't wait to start working toward my license!

Well, first off, have you asked your main dz if video is included in the AFF price? Have you compared the prices of both programs to see if it is really an extra at that other dz?

I would think most dz's would charge for video, because the slot on the plane has to be paid for by someone. I'm sure you can get video on any jump at your main dz, you just have to pay for it. As far as your instructors going over your jump with you, they're going to do that with or without video, it's part of the AFF program. You won't move onto the next level unless you pass your current one to your instructor's satisfaction.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The video is included in the price of the other DZ - I asked my local one via email today while I was at work. No response just yet.

Regarding the pricing, I would spend $145 more getting it videoed. I know the instructors will go over each jump, but do you think it would help a tremendous amount?

When I would fight, I would watch videos of each one to see what I did wrong to learn from it. The main difference between that and this is I can't see the wind hitting me whereas the other videos it's clear how I'm getting hit. Until I get word back from the local DZ, I won't make any decisions.

On a different note, I have been emailing a large group of friends to get a group together to go tandem at the local DZ. Even if I don't choose them for my training, I'm still going to do my part to bring them business.

Well it's confirmed. The video is included in DZ #2 and would be about $100 extra per jump at the main DZ. There isn't much price difference (~$145) between the two before adding the $100 extra cost per jump if I had it recorded at the main DZ. That pretty much doubles the cost.

So again I have to ask, would this make me a horrid student if I go to a different DZ to get licensed and then my main DZ for all other jumps?

Nah, you're not a horrible person if you go to a different dz. You are a consumer, you spend your money how you want to. That said, don't forget to add the cost of gas into your price of going to a dz that is farther away.

If you are a pretty good athlete and can follow directions, having video probably isn't going to make a huge difference. If your instructor says to stick your legs our more on the next jump, can you do that without seeing on video what he's talking about?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hi, and welcome! It's always nice to see such enthusiasm - reminds me of the heady days when I first started.

Good on you for trying to 'get your ducks in a row', but just a word of caution about trying to find out too much before your course - as a newbie you've no way of sifting the good information from the bad, so you could be in danger of having to 'unlearn' stuff when you actually get under instruction. And don't whatever you do try to prepare yourself by watching Point Break. :D

Once you've made up your mind to actually do a course, don't try too hard up front - have faith in your instructors to teach you what you need to know. They'll assume they're starting with a blank slate. :)

Thanks for the tips MikeJD! Unfortunately, I have been watching Point Break twice a day in hopes of preparing. haha Totally kidding

I like using the search function a lot and reading up on stuff like goggles, helmets and jumpsuits so that I can get a little gear now that will work for me. I wear contacts, so I did a lot of reading on goggle selection for contact wearers.

The things I pay attention to most are the articles that have been written by pros and "stickied" on here. Until I have a few jumps under my belt, I'm staying away from any info on how to control a chute or your body during freefall. I can't get my head wrapped around the sensation just yet.....yet. :)