kd5xb

After 28 years -- I'M BACK!

Yes, I've been hanging around on this board for several YEARS, thinking back to those days of old. Well, after a friend (who I haven't seen in 31 years!) posted a picture of three of us ready to go, I could stand it no more. The weekend of July second, I drove over to Belen, New Mexico, home of Skydive New Mexico. Took the first jump course, the wind came up, so our whole class showed up again on Sunday morning, and we all jumped.

IT WAS GREAT TO BE BACK IN THE AIR!

I'm not sure anybody other than friends can read it, but here is my writeup of the whole thing -- http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150232974351714

And here's a picture from "back in 1979" -- http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/elsie1/SKYDIVING/1979.jpg I was the one on the far left. BTW, that rig I'm wearing in that picture tried to KILL me!

I have already received my new Para Gear catalog, ordered a (cheap) helmet and goggles to fit over my glasses. Never had that problem way back when!

I went back on July 9th and made another. I'm following the IAD method, since it's been SO long. I feel I am probably safer this way.

I also feel that I'm at a fairly hazardous point in my skydiving, but I'm working hard to make everything a slow, deliberate process. Lots of hanging harness practice, and lots of review.

And, as I told an AFF student the other day -- he had discovered that I had jumped rounds, so he asked if I had any advice for him. Sure did! "Don't get in too big a hurry!" Me, too -- there won't be any camera jumps for a long time, unlike what we did back in the '70's. No demos, either... Slow & deliberate with an abundance of caution.

But can you tell that I'm EXCITED!!!!!

BTW, I did supply a case of Ziegen Bock to the DZ. I haven't forgotten everything, you know!
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

OH YEAH! It was all familiar, but different. Maybe it's because, at 5500 AGL the airplane was at about 10,500 MSL!

As for the story on that early pig rig -- I believe it was a Guardian. Jumping the Paradactyl one day, had a bag lock, used the 1-shots and then the reserve ripcord wouldn't come out! The ripcord routed through a cloth sleeve, and you had to pull along the same direction as the sleeve. Me, I was pulling OUT instead of DOWN. Finally got it our around 500'. On my back -- saw the pilot chute between my knees, saw the whole bridle and canopy, then the suspension lines. When the canopy opened, everything went black. I woke up in time to pull the 4-line release and land. Had to use both hands on EACH release, since I was about as weak as a kitten from the opening shock of a 24' flat, and being unwound like a yo-yo.

No lessons like that this time -- take my time, go sloooooooooooow.....
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.