charlie5

Greetings! Just did first Tandem recently!

Hello everybody.

I just got back this weekend from a short vacation in Tampa visiting a friend. Currently in rockville MD just north of DC.

We had both done tandem paragliding in Interlaken, Switzerland a few years ago and wanted to go skydiving, but unfortunately were college kids and couldn't afford the price at the time.

Since 2005 we've both been corporate drones and figured we needed some long overdue excitement.

We went to skydivecity in Zephyrhills.

Obviously it went awesomely well otherwise I wouldn't be here. The adrenaline rush lasted quite a while afterwards.

My instructor Scott P was super chill and friendly, actually now that I think about it, EVERYONE at zhills was super friendly and approachable, even the experienced jumpers were smiling at me and giving me encouragement before they exited. I was first in line after the regulars so it was cool to see how relaxed they were hanging out by the door the whole way up. When I landed and was leaving, one of the regulars that was on the plane asked me how it was, if I enjoyed it etc and was super cool. The camaraderie is something I really want to experience regularly.

The ONLY negative things I experienced were:

1: Difficulty breathing because I kept opening my mouth and exhaling was harder than anticipated

2: The straps around my thighs HURT LIKE A MOTHERF***ER and the pain lasted a couple days. Being 220lbs, the upper limit, obviously didn't help.

Now begins the process of saving up for the License A classes at skydiveorage lol. I've read reviews that make orange sound like a big family like I saw at skydivecity. All I can think about now is getting into skydiving and spending hours reading/watching everything I can about it.

Looking out my office window now I see blue skies and want to be up there and to meet other friendly jumpers.

I may just do the first AFF jump in the meantime.

Below is a pic, and yes yes, I know he was telling me to extend my legs, which I shortly realized after that moment, but I was so damned happy, I thought he was throwing a peace sign at me lol.

-Charlie

*sorry for rambling, but there's too much in my head to organize into a fluid cohesive post lol.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

peace sign haha! thats a freakin awesome pic!!! keep that for sure! IF you do end up getting into the sport you'll crack up about it later

congrats on the first jump. I'm a noob too and did my first tandem a month and a half ago. did jump #12 on my first pack job today!

sickass sport, huh!?!!

peace sign haha! thats a freakin awesome pic!!! keep that for sure! IF you do end up getting into the sport you'll crack up about it later

congrats on the first jump. I'm a noob too and did my first tandem a month and a half ago. did jump #12 on my first pack job today!

sickass sport, huh!?!!

Thanks a lot! Yeah, it's beyond sickass. One thing I've read others say is they wish they had learned to pack earlier.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

oh and the reason why you had a hard time breathing was cuz you were freakin out and tensed up. The airspeed doesn't make it any tougher. you'll get used to it and won't even notice it the next couple times.

Yeah, it was sort of a infinite loop. The unexpected "tenseness" made it harder to breath, and that in itself made me more tense lol

Welcome to the addiction. We'll be glad to have you at Skydive Orange and yup, it's a great place to spend all your time and money and hang out with your friends.

Can't wait to spend all my extra money jumping :ph34r:

Just booked my first AFF for Saturday at Orange!

Will be fun to see all the people dressed up for July 4th in red white and birthday suits