KellySmiles

Loved, loved, loved first tandem! AFF next weekend!

Hey everyone! New to the forums and to the awesome world of skydiving! I just got back from my first tandem jump this morning, and it was beyond words it was so cool and fun! The DZ I went to also offers AFF, so I signed up to begin next weekend -- that's how much I loved it! :)
Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and say a quick hello! I have a question too though.... This may sound crazy, but is there any way to reduce/eliminate the amount of flesh-flapping during freefall? I'm not an overweight person, but I'm not necessarily super skinny either, and the cheek-flapping, arms-flapping, etc. is really unattractive. Like, so unattractive that I won't let anyone see my tandem vid, LOL! Is there an angle I can hold my head at, or maybe if I smile really hard to "flex" my cheeks it'll stop the ripples?!!? Thank you for any tips! :$

Welcome to the forums! :)), you can wear jumpsuit, which covers your body from the neck down and a full face helmet. While you're on student status you'll still wear an open face helmet but dont' worry, your instructors have seen plenty of flapping before.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hahaha, welcome! I'm new too.... this is really funny because my fiance refuses to go on a tandem w/ video because she saw how freaky I looked. I told her to just make funny faces the whole time that way it looks intentional. Not really a solution, but it might detract from the unintentional unattractiveness of this so-called "flesh-flapping" if you're intentionally going cross-eyed or sticking your tongue out! :D

DISCLAIMER: Not that I'd suggest that while you're still a student! Never mind what your skin looks like; you need to be concentrating especially during AFF. Good luck!

Everyone I have been in freefall with has this flesh flapping thing, except me (I have a beard so the face doesn't flap). Your jumping out of an airplane, not competing in a beauty pageant. Just go with it, and smiling does help (a little). There are a lot more important things to worry about, like staying safe.

Where are you doing your aff?

Good luck and blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."