DROPdiva

Totally new. I'm second guessing myself...

Hello all!

I am a new PFF student and just completed my first 3 jumps yesterday. I did my first tandem last summer. My first jump I was extremely nervous because I realized it was up to me to jump from the plane. None the less, I got through the first 3 jumps, each one was only slightly easier in terms of nerves.

Yet last night after the day was over I started to question everything about why I made the decision to start jumping in the first place. Ever since my first tandem almost a year ago I have done nothing but dream of one day flying in the sky like so many of you are doing. I am now extremely nervous though, and questioning whether I will be able to handle jumping entirely on my own without instructors on my side. I will be jumping another few times tomorrow as well. I have talked to a lot of people who have gone though the PFF/AFF program and they all seemed to be so calm and collected about it. Is this normal for me to be freaking out and questioning my capabilities? Canopy control and knowing if or when I have a main malfunction is also stressing me out a bit.

Any help/advice, or even just personal experiences would be great. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my giant vent session.

Yeah, you're going to be nervous about jumping out of a plane into the open air but as most people keep telling me, if you're not a little hesitant about skydiving you probably shouldn't be doing it. I mean one would have to be a little off to not be a little apprehensive in the beginning. Sure there are some experienced skydivers who never even think twice before they jump any more but I know several experienced people who say they still get a little nervous right before the jump.

As for questioning your skills, you probably should just a little bit because that will keep you on your toes. I mean that to say that you should probably consider what you will do if a malfunction happens because that needs to be second nature, not requiring any time spent thinking about your reaction. In only 8 jumps I've had 3 line twists and yesterday my pilot chute decided to go under my canopy but the line twists were extremely easy to get out of and I just had to stop doing hard turns when the pilot chute got misplaced. And I remember thinking "please don't let me have a malfunction" when I did my first couple of jumps. Little things happen though and you just have to act accordingly.

I'm sure once you do one or two more you'll relax more and just have fun with it. Enjoy!

You sure sound like a normal person with the right amount of apprehension. I was in your shoes - or should I say under your chute - not long ago. Relax, don't rush anything, and enjoy the learning journey. It just keeps getting better.
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

I'm also new to the sport (four jumps away from my A license). I was very nervous every jump until I started doing 45 second delays. I'm not sure why that was my breaking point, but it was. I'm still a little nervous, but I think that helps me focus and keep alert.

You're jumping out of an airplane and depending upon your own skills--of course you're nervous! But, as one of my instructors says, as fear goes down, fun goes up. Only you can decide if you wan to keep jumping, but I think you'll like it more and more as your fear goes down. And it will. Probably a bit slowly, but ask lots of questions so you're not wondering about anything, and learn from any mistakes you make.

Breathe and relax. Smile! It really does help.

Thanks for your advice bluetwo, and sharing some of your recent experience. It's nice to hear about other student's stories who are going through similar experiences to me.

I know this is something I not only want to do, but to enjoy for many years to come, so I think/hope I'm on the right track. I just keep asking tons of questions at my DZ from both my instructors and from fellow students. Nobody seems to mind my inquisitive nature which is great.

Thanks skymama. My apprehension is with wondering how my mind and body would react in the event of a malfunction, and if it would register with me right away. I am trying to go over and over the pull sequence in the event of one in hopes of training my movement memory into reacting right away. Any thought's on this? thanks again for taking your time to respond.

Thanks for your advice. Reading your post made me excited for what is to come, and all of the new experiences and knowledge that comes with those. I was at my DZ today to try and get another couple of jumps in, but the winds were too strong. Today I was less apprehensive about jumping though, most of me was actually excited, and part of me was dissapointed after sticking it out for 6 hours and not getting to jump. I'll be back in 3 days though, so I hope having 5 days in between jumps doesn't let the nerves creep back in too too much. LOL.

I think that everything that you are feeling is perfectly normal. I was also one who wanted to be out in the big blue sky flying. I did not want to be any sort of pilot that sat inside of an aircraft flying.....I just wanted to fly. I had always wanted to do a skydive to say that I had done it. But not once did I ever imagine myself skydiving regularly. After my 2 tandems, this sport had me hooked. I felt that I had found that little piece of my life that was missing. For those people that I had lost and was close to, this sport makes me feel that much closer to them. I plan on being a part of skydiving for as much of my life as possible. I think that once the nervous feeling goes away.......if that is at all possible, then it will be time for me to take up something new. Learn as much as you can and ask a ton of questions. Good luck on the rest of your training and let us know how it goes.

blue skies
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

I am trying to go over and over the pull sequence in the event of one in hopes of training my movement memory into reacting right away. Any thought's on this? thanks again for taking your time to respond.

That's just the thing that you need to be doing. In fact, I still practice my emergency procedures on every jump. Do you usually respond well to stressful situations? If so, I'm sure you'll do the right thing, just have confidence in yourself.

There are Incidents reports in every issue on Parachutist. One thing I do is read the incident and then think to myself, "what would I have done" before I read what the magazine suggests. It's just a good way to keep yourself up on remembering what to do. (You'll start getting the magazine once you become a member of USPA)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You're welcome DROPdiva. Doesn't everybody like talking about themselves? ;)

I'm glad to share my experiences and I like to see what kind of feedback I can get. I'm not at all ashamed of the fact that I'm taking my progression slowly either because this sport is something I want to live to do as often as possible. I'm not saying I want to keep repeating steps but I've had to already and it's not that bad! In other words, even if you have to repeat something, don't beat yourself up about it and just keep jumping no matter what.

A certain amount of fear is not a bad thing. It keeps your limitations in check and it will eventually drive you through your plateaus and help with your confidence. A moderate amount of fear isn't your enemy. Stick in there and focus on what you're wanting to improve most. Good luck! You'll do fine. :)

-FEAR IS TEMPORARY...REGRET IS FOREVER!

-"People living deeply have no fear of death"- Anais Nin

Those are all normal feeling that no one wants to admit. When I started jumping I got butterflies on my way to the DZ and even more in the airplane. By the time I jumped out all the build up gave me even more of a rush and it was completely worth it. Keep at it if it makes you happy. The more consistent you are the better. Hope to see you up there someday.