Zarcero

Old Timer with Questions

Hello there! My name is Mike.

I have been considering taking up jumping again. I started in the 70's at Hartwood in VA. The place was owned by Harry Schoeppel (sp?). Run by him, his wife, and their son Clay. Clay was a World Champion and Army Golden Knight. At Hartwood they used to call me "Crazy Mike". I am wondering if any of those guys are still around and jumping. There was also a kid their named George, and a feisty good looking gal named "Buck" who later married the USPA president at the time (Don?).

I started jumping there in high school '74-'75. My SCR and SCS were earned there. Bill Newell signed those jumps. Is he still around? I don't have the numbers handy but my SCR is in the 5,000's and the SCS in the 2,000's. I used to jump a mini-round called Starlite. It had a horrible opening shock.

I also made a few jumps at a place called Pelicanland in MD. I think a guy named Mike Schulz used to run that place.

I later went to the US Military Academy at West Point and was on the team there. I have a bunch of old trophies in the attic somewhere with my log books. Jumped mostly StratoStar and StratoCloud there. All of our coaches were former Golden Knights. Great guys!

Just wondering what it takes to get back into the sport, but no way I am jumping strapped to some dude!

Thanks,

Mike

Just wondering what it takes to get back into the sport, but no way I am jumping strapped to some dude!

Get thee to a dropzone near you and speaketh there with an AFF instructor. You don't have to be strapped to some dude (or even some chick) to get back in the air.