JCulver

Back in the saddle again....

Hello, I am a rather new poster…..have been registered for years though. I, too, am trying to get back into the swing of things. I have roughly 45 jumps on an F-111 PD 210. I haven’t jumped since the summer of 2000. You know how it goes….got married, got a real job, bought a house etc. In fact, I actually sold my rig to put the ring on her finger. I am sure that is considered taboo…but, I was in love and still am. We have a beautiful daughter at 8 months old. Student loans are getting paid off and I might actually have some money to throw around.

I am from Columbus Ohio and the DZ I was jumping at had all sorts of political issues with the airport board of trustees. They eventually closed up shop about a year after I got out of the sport. Reading the boards, I can’t believe how much it has changed. The days of flat packing are over and it seems that everyone has gone to the ZPs. I have a lot to catch up on. I might have some issues though with getting back into the sport. I never did send in my application for my A license….I can’t find my log book…but, I have several pics of me in flight and under canopy…..and my tandem instructor is still a great friend of mine. (I don’t know what the rules are making up a duplicate logbook off memory alone) I’m thinking they are going to want me to go thru the entire training again. Maybe that’s a good thing…..I get heartburn thinking about the costs again. Jump tickets to 10k were $13 back then…13k was $18. Prices on fuel have added to the cost of jump tickets too. At any rate…that’s enough about me. I look forward to learning more as we go along.

BTW: I have been trying to find a video of a Casa that stalled and rolled on its back at the Richmond Boogie back in….let me think here…..96 maybe? I was on the load right before that with my first tandem. I remember seeing the video that night…watching the experienced jumpers spit out the back, but have never seen it since. Anyone have a link to that video?

Well, I did my recurrency jump yesterday. After a month of reading the SIM and getting caught up on terminology and EP's, I finally went down to the dropzone. The coach went over the EP's for about an hour and I relearned how to do gear checks, landing patterns, canopy control checks etc.

My AFF instructor landed with a tandem and we went over the dive flow. On jump run, I called "door", spotted and called for the cut. Climbed out to the strut and felt the wind on my face again.....and it felt good. My intructor gave me the nod and I gave the count. I was a little unstable on the hill but recovered nicely after 3 or 4 seconds. I got stable and immediatley did a altitude check and was at 9000. The instuctor gave me the nod and I initiated a practice pull. Came back for another altitude check. Did a 360 to the left and another atl check. 1 more practice pull and atl check. Then did a 360 to the right came back around and locked on to my altimeter at 5000. Rode it down to 4500 for the wave off and deployment sequence. Under a good canopy at 3900.

The gear I was renting had a Falcon 265. It was a nice opening canopy and sniveled for 3 seconds. The rig actually fit me better than my own rig back in the day. I played around with the canopy and couldn't get the thing to stall. The flare sequence seemed to take a while. I thought about the timing and knew I needed to flare a little higher than I was used too but completely forgot about it on landing. I flared where I always did on my own gear but that wasn't enough time for a stand up. I hit my feet and went into PLF mode. I was only on the ground for 1/2 second and stood right back up.

Overall, I was pleased with myself at how fast it came back to me. Obviously, I need to work on getting stable quicker and if I rent that gear again, flare a little higher. It felt good to get back and my training for my A license should be complete within the next month....barirng no issues.

Blue skys