billvon

Nitro

Put three jumps on a Nitro 120 last weekend. Very nice canopy. Openings were VERY impressive, dead on heading every time. Glide was about the same as a Safire, maybe a little steeper. Both toggle and front riser pressures were considerably heavier than the Safire but that doesn't really bother me. Recovery arc was longer; I didn't put enough jumps on it to get it really dialed in but I could still do a front riser hook, keep it in front risers for a few seconds and get a 50 foot planeout in light winds. The non-cascaded lines were odd to pack with. I'm not sure that I believe in the little inflatable stabilizers, but at least they don't seem to do any harm.

If you get a chance, put a few on the Blade. It's openings are also very nice and it is much higher-performaning canopy.

Yep, Ive had mine now for over a year Nitro 108.
I enjoy it very much-seems High Performance Research done Good here. The Germans are on top of their game. As for the Winglets.It is quite common for a non-Nitro jumper to ask about the winglets, and without trying to get into any kind of Aerodynamic Psycho-Babble about Wind Tunnel analyses and such, suffice it to say that these oddball looking Appendages on the upper Surface work to help reduce the stall speed of the Wing, allowing you to make more walk-on landings and fewer landings where you demonstrate the sprint-slide-tumble technique. It won't take long before you to come to appreciate the measurable effect that they truly reveal, which is the ability to make the Canopy seem to Hover forever just prior to Touchdown. Other advantages are, that the Canopy in case of a line twist mostly flies straight on. As you do a Crosswind landing you'll feel the Canopy is flying like on rails.

Check it out here HiperUSA Happy Flights...B|
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

I've got about a dozen or more jumps on each of the 120 Nitron and the 135, exit weight about 220# or 225#. I believe it is the same canopy as the Nitro. Very nice, consistent openigs. Very good swoopers. Seemed to have a recovery arc a little shorter than a similar Stiletto. Once it planes out, it needs very little adjusting to kep it flying level. When it runs out of speed, just finish with a deep flare and it shuts doen nicely. I watched Safire 149 @ ~1.25#/ft2 and a 120 Nitron @ ~1.6#/ft2 jump side by side yesterday. I got the distinct impression the Safire was faster. In my opinion, anyone looking at a Stiletto should also give some consideration to the Nitro/Nitron, they have higher toggle riser pressures, but a longer recovery arc.
Just goofing around doing balloon jumps. John and I made a flop and landed back in the ball park we departed from, while Ken flew. Then I traded places with Ken ans flew so John could go up and make a second jump only with Art this time. I landed the balloon right where Art and John landed.

BTW, people can diss the Safire I all they want (not referring to bill). Allowing for a few "lemons" that truly are bad and can be found in any line of parachutes, if you have a good one, you just need to learn how to fly it. It does not respond like a PD canopy. That does not mean better or worse, just different. They are fast and they can swoop. You can shut them down for nice walk offs. They like a deep stroke to plane out, but once it is planed out, you really don't need to keep milking it, it will surf right there until it runs out of speed and starts to sink, then finish the flare to the full stroke. Try it, you'll like it.
alan

Recovery arc was longer;

I find the recovery arc mega short on a nitro which was the only reason I did not buy it.
Great flare, nice openings and agility were reasons to buy. What wingload did you have? I was jumping one at about 2.0 : 1 until the lines broke [:/]
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Seemed to have a recovery arc a little shorter than a similar Stiletto

anyone looking at a Stiletto should also give some consideration to the Nitro/Nitron, they have higher toggle riser pressures, but a longer recovery arc

You contradict yourself here.

j

You're correct, my bad. Meant to say "longer" in the first quote. Sorry, it was late and I was tired. Going back over my post , I now notice a number of errors and typos. At any rate, the Nitro/Nitron is an excellent canopy......with a little longer recovery arc than a Stiletto.........and very worthy of consideration in comparison.
alan