Julaynemaries

A lisence question

I am about to get off my AFF and I was just wondering, to get my A lisence I can go to any dz right? Not exclusivly the one i did my aff at right? (obviously most instructors at my dz say to stay there) but ive gotten mixed answers and well my cousin is a coach and just moved here from Wisconsin (here is Florida) and Id like to start jumping with him and my buddies already in the sport, doing some dz run weekends........ :)

I am about to get off my AFF and I was just wondering, to get my A lisence I can go to any dz right? Not exclusivly the one i did my aff at right? (obviously most instructors at my dz say to stay there) but ive gotten mixed answers and well my cousin is a coach and just moved here from Wisconsin (here is Florida) and Id like to start jumping with him and my buddies already in the sport, doing some dz run weekends........ :)

At some level, as has been said, you can go anywhere you want even now.

But it is also true that a dropzone can make rules that will get in your way, license or not.

There was recently a discussion about a dz that may be saying that if you didn't get your "A" license at that dz, you will not be allowed to jump there until you have a "B" license.

That is the dz's choice, and USPA has told me that a dz is absolutely free to make any such rule they may desire.

But it is also true that a dropzone can make rules that will get in your way, license or not.

There was recently a discussion about a dz that may be saying that if you didn't get your "A" license at that dz, you will not be allowed to jump there until you have a "B" license.

That is the dz's choice, and USPA has told me that a dz is absolutely free to make any such rule they may desire.

Good to know, gotta ask those questions before I head out. Thanks Buddy! It would be a bummer to travel for hours only to here gotta have your B or 100 minimum. ;) Thanks!

One thing to consider is that going to other DZs can introduce new variables to the jump which may not be a good idea for a student:

Different Aircraft (may need different exit).
Different Landing Zone .
Different rental gear.

Be sure to get a good orientation to the new DZ. Ask about any of the above which may be different.

Remember that as a student (not yet licensed) you remain under USPA instructor supervision. That means that the instructors/DZ can impose additional restrictions on you if they feel that they are appropriate.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Good to know, gotta ask those questions before I head out. Thanks Buddy! It would be a bummer to travel for hours only to here gotta have your B or 100 minimum. ;) Thanks!

Definitely call up and describe your situation (number of jumps total, completion of AFF, let them know whether you're current or not, etc.). The DZ will let you know their expectations when you get there - don't be surprised if they want you to do a jump with one of their instructors or coaches before letting you loose to do solos. Also, check to see what they have available for rental gear - make sure you can get something similar to what you're used to jumping.

They'll also let you know what to bring with you as documentation. You'll probably want to get your A license progression card from your instructors if they're holding onto it (some DZs keep it, others leave it in your hands), so that you can document things that you do towards your A license at the other DZs and have them signed off.

Once you have your A license, with rare exceptions you can show up anywhere and jump (as long as you've stayed current - many DZs will look at your logbook to verify the date of your last jump to ensure you're current). Of course, even then you'll want to make sure to ask for a dropzone briefing on dropzone policies, landing areas, good/bad outs, landing patterns, etc.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

.....once I get my A I already got a wingsuit rodeo date! [/:P] CANT WAIT!

I can't say how much of a great idea I think this is.
I really can't say. [:/]

What the hell am I thinking - of course, it falls under the CSF waiver for common sense.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Another thing to think about is just because your cousin is a USPA coach not every dropzone will let you jump with him since he's not known to them or on their "staff". There are also many items on your profiencey card that require the signature of a AFFI (or pilot) that he can't sign off on so you're going to need to work with a DZ staff member anyway.

Why not just take the first couple of weeks and finish up your license and then go visit other DZs after you have your A?

Why not just take the first couple of weeks and finish up your license and then go visit other DZs after you have your A?

I think you make a great point and most likely that is what I will be doing the majoritly of the time. I just want to know of options.....I am lucky enough to have 4 dz within a few hours of eachother and it would just be cool to check them out if a group of us are going out.
After I get my A, I will be doing to weekend trips all the time, just curious if I could (still jump with coaches whether my cousin or not) at other dz if the crew is going, saves on gas, thats for sure!

.....once I get my A I already got a wingsuit rodeo date! [/:P] CANT WAIT!

I can't say how much of a great idea I think this is.
I really can't say. [:/]

What the hell am I thinking - of course, it falls under the CSF waiver for common sense.

It wouldnt be right away! LOL. I would have to get very comfortable and freefly confident, if it takes a B before I do it, then so be it, I will always use my instincts!!! Which are good, im just lucky enough to have a highly safe and skilled WS jumper as one of my best friends. He is practicing with other girls and mastering it before he even considers me, he is very very safe as well. We would be doing many freefly jumps together and get comfortable together first as well. Dont worry, im not jumping on him in the sky quite yet :P Im excited as hell for it though!

I am lucky enough to have 4 dz within a few hours of eachother and it would just be cool to check them out if a group of us are going out.

If you are current, having jumped in the last 30 days, you should have little problem moving between DZ in close proximity to each other. They'll be familiar with each others programs, and can just call over and ask questions if need be. Do call ahead and explain what you want to do, and see what they say but chances are it won't be a big deal.

You will have extra work to do, so make sure you're 'confident' with your skills at your home DZs first. If you struggle to make a safe jump at home, you don't need to go to another DZ. You'll be adding a different aircraft, student rig, and landing area to the list of stuff you already have to worry about, so make sure you have 'the basics' covered.

Another thing you can do, and as a 'student' post-AFF, you are allowed to do, is a solo on your first jump at the new DZ. No pressure to perform, or follow a dive flow full of manuvers, just hop out, have a look around (remain altitude aware) and pull. Ask for a DZ briefing before hand, learn the landing areas, obstacles, wind and pattern direction for the day, and also see if there's an instructor or other experienced jumper on your load who can point out the DZ from the plane during the ride to altitude.