Cowboy1974

Any Oklahoma Divers??

How's the jumping in California? I'll bet it's beautiful. What took you to the West Coast? My daughter and I have begun our skydiving journey together. She's 16 and I wish I would have started that early. I'm in catch-up mode. Love the AFF though. It's such a rush!
Have You Hugged Your
Local Skydiver Today?

Just curious if there are any Oklahomans on these forums.

I live in Tulsa and also jump in Cushing. I haven't been out there for a few weeks, though.

Wondering if there ever group skydiving events in OK.

I know last year Cushing had Mullins' King Air at least once, in about May, and I think they had it again in September or so. I think they're going to do it again this year - ask Jack the next time you're out there.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Just curious if there are any Oklahomans on these forums.

I live in Tulsa and also jump in Cushing. I haven't been out there for a few weeks, though.

I know last year Cushing had Mullins' King Air at least once, in about May, and I think they had it again in September or so. I think they're going to do it again this year - ask Jack the next time you're out there.

Eule

What exactly is that? Sorry, I'm new to the sport and don't know a lot.
Have You Hugged Your
Local Skydiver Today?

I know last year Cushing had Mullins' King Air at least once, in about May, and I think they had it again in September or so.

What exactly is that?

A King Air is an airplane with two turboprop engines. It can be set up for jumping. A guy named Mike Mullins owns one, and has done a lot of modifications and tweaks on it to make it really fast. He owns a DZ in Tennessee, and flies his King Air there, but he also brings it to other dropzones periodically. He brought it to Cushing last year and lots of people came out so they could jump it. The plane is fairly popular and well-known among jumpers; if you say "Mullins' plane" or "Mullins' King Air" to an experienced jumper, they will very likely know exactly what you're talking about.

I figured what you meant by "group skydiving events" is when there is a large number of jumpers at the dropzone, which is why I mentioned the King Air. But now I realize maybe you meant "relative work" or "formation skydiving", where jumpers try to build formations in freefall. This happens all the time in OK, but since most (all?) of the dropzones here only have Cessnas, they can only do 4-way - formations with four jumpers maximum. If you get more than one Cessna going at once, or get an airplane that can hold more jumpers, you can make bigger formations. The current world record is a 400-way.

I hope this wasn't too much stuff you already knew. :)

Eule

I know last year Cushing had Mullins' King Air at least once, in about May, and I think they had it again in September or so.

What exactly is that?

A King Air is an airplane with two turboprop engines. It can be set up for jumping. A guy named Mike Mullins owns one, and has done a lot of modifications and tweaks on it to make it really fast. He owns a DZ in Tennessee, and flies his King Air there, but he also brings it to other dropzones periodically. He brought it to Cushing last year and lots of people came out so they could jump it. The plane is fairly popular and well-known among jumpers; if you say "Mullins' plane" or "Mullins' King Air" to an experienced jumper, they will very likely know exactly what you're talking about.

I figured what you meant by "group skydiving events" is when there is a large number of jumpers at the dropzone, which is why I mentioned the King Air. But now I realize maybe you meant "relative work" or "formation skydiving", where jumpers try to build formations in freefall. This happens all the time in OK, but since most (all?) of the dropzones here only have Cessnas, they can only do 4-way - formations with four jumpers maximum. If you get more than one Cessna going at once, or get an airplane that can hold more jumpers, you can make bigger formations. The current world record is a 400-way.

I hope this wasn't too much stuff you already knew. :)

Eule

Thank you for the great information. I'm trying to absorb it all. There is so much I have to learn which at my age believe it or not is kind of exciting. Sounds like a cool opportunity. I hope I'm able the next time he comes to Oklahoma. Thanks again!
Have You Hugged Your
Local Skydiver Today?

I'm trying to absorb it all.

Don't absorb it all just yet. Put it in a jar, take it to the dropzone, and _ask your instructors about it_ before you absorb it. You will read lots of things in books, here, elsewhere on the Internet - some of it is good information and some of it is not. Your instructors can help you tell the difference.

There is so much I have to learn which at my age believe it or not is kind of exciting.

Hmm... If you were born in 1974 then I'm only about a year or two older than you. :)

Eule

I'm trying to absorb it all.

Don't absorb it all just yet. Put it in a jar, take it to the dropzone, and _ask your instructors about it_ before you absorb it. You will read lots of things in books, here, elsewhere on the Internet - some of it is good information and some of it is not. Your instructors can help you tell the difference.

There is so much I have to learn which at my age believe it or not is kind of exciting.

Hmm... If you were born in 1974 then I'm only about a year or two older than you. :)

Eule

Yes I'm 32, soon to be 33. I guess when I say absorbing it's kind of a relative term. I probably forget more than I remember. Unfortunately there is a 2 inch sheet of ice blanketing Oklahoma today and there has been no jumping the last couple of days. I'm stuck inside wishing I was in the air.
Have You Hugged Your
Local Skydiver Today?

don't feel so bad.....we have been having record cold temperatures here - when I went to bed last night it was 5 degrees and dropping....snow on the ground, dz is closed. Time to move somewhere warm!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

don't feel so bad.....we have been having record cold temperatures here - when I went to bed last night it was 5 degrees and dropping....snow on the ground, dz is closed. Time to move somewhere warm!

I thought I lived in someplace warm but it turns out you never can tell in Oklahoma. On Thursday it was 68 degrees in Tulsa, Friday it was low 50's and by Saturday it was 22 and covered in ice. I love Oklahoma!!
Have You Hugged Your
Local Skydiver Today?