THier

Packing an NB-8

Hey everyone,
I'm not a skydiver, but hopefully you all can help me out.
I fly high powered rockets, and I have a used NB-8 for a large project I am working on. I have packed some pretty large chutes, but nothing this big, 28ft circular. I am not using a container, but I am sewing up a deployment bag for it, how different is packing this chute as opposed to the ones I am useing now, 12ft and smaller. Are there any special tricks or no-no's or is it the same as my smaller chutes.
Thanks,
Tom

If, you can locate a copy of Poynter's Parachute Manual, Vol. I, the information you need is there. You might find a copy at your local library or,you might check Dan Poynter's web page or look for Para Publishing on the net. Hope, this helps.

Chuck

Start by ensuring that all the gores (triangles of fabric whose base is the skirt of the canopy and sides are radial seams) are flaked to the outside. Many folks suggest stretching the canopy out flat so there are an equal number of gores to each side, then making long folds (parallel to the radial seams) as needed to get the canopy the width you want before sleeving or bagging it, but even if all the gores are on one side, you should get a decent opening with occasional line twists.

You'll get a more reliable opening if the lines are fully extended before the canopy starts to inflate. Is this what you're doing with your 12' chute? How does your deployment bag work?

BTW, you may be able to save some bulk and weight by removing the lines that run inside the radial seams, as well as half the apex lines.

Mark

Pack it like you do other rounds you have used. It does depend on how you deploy it though. Lines first or canopy first.
I have made systems for rockets up to 16 feet tall and over 400 pounds. PM me your email and I will send you some information.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Start by ensuring that all the gores (triangles of fabric whose base is the skirt of the canopy and sides are radial seams) are flaked to the outside. Many folks suggest stretching the canopy out flat so there are an equal number of gores to each side, then making long folds (parallel to the radial seams) as needed to get the canopy the width you want before sleeving or bagging it, but even if all the gores are on one side, you should get a decent opening with occasional line twists.

You'll get a more reliable opening if the lines are fully extended before the canopy starts to inflate. Is this what you're doing with your 12' chute? How does your deployment bag work?

BTW, you may be able to save some bulk and weight by removing the lines that run inside the radial seams, as well as half the apex lines.

Mark

I deploy pretty standard I think, Lines are looped on the outside of bag so they extend and chute comes out last, So once I get the width I want, is it better to roll the chut from the apex, or fold, Right now I Z fold the canopy from the apex down.
Tom

It's better to fold than roll. Try this experiment: fold-pack your chute, then unpack it by holding the deployment bag as you walk away from the rocket attachment point. Then do the same thing with a roll-pack. I think you'll find the roll-pack results in a twisted canopy.

Mark