LouYoung

Weight Limit for Mini-Risers?

Additionally Type 17 mini-ring risers can accept a 3600 pound load if manufactured correctly. For a 200 pound person that would be 18G's. Pleanty strong enough for any skydiving. We don't limit ours.

After how many jumps do you recommend to have them replaced?

If something has to break, it should be above the main riser attachment ring. That is a basic rule of parachute system design. It is possible to make risers that are so strong that they remain intact while the harness below them fails. This is really stupid, but it has been done...recently, in fact.

Please confirm that you think wide risers are too strong. If so, then wouldn't it be a good idea to revise the design somehow to get the strength down to the level of mini risers?

I like the idea of having in effect a load limiter, but don't like the increased force on the white loop trying to suck in the cable or the increased cutaway force as a result. I choose to not use mini risers because of this and because I'm heavy enough that wide risers seem appropriate.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

After how many jumps do you recommend to have them replaced?

We don't limit product as to number of jumps. We have Type 17 risers over 20 years old and with thousands of jumps. They are still good. We are a loft/manufacturer and we take good care of our gear. In the US there is generally no life limit on aviation product. People don't understand it is a "Progressive Maintaince" program. The Rigger, who Certifies the equipment as good for the next 180 days, is the person who determines the life limit. If you can't get it Certified by a rigger it has reached it's life limit. It is the riggers job to determine airworthyness. I know of gear (Racers) over 20 years old, with thousands of jumps, which are still airworthy. I know, Main risers are not subject to Certification but the Riggers talents can and should be used to evaluate your complete rig.

I would suggest that a posible reason for the failure we are discussing in this thread might be due to "Needle Weave" webbing. It has the charisteristic of sudden failure if an edge is nicked. I do know that there have been Type 17 risers made with this type of webbing and that they should be destroyed.