boags

HI from OZ

Just thought id say hi from over in Australia. Back in the sport after having some time off done abot 20 jumps in the last month. never felt better now that im back in it. What a rush!! Check out my post on "max wing loading on a SABRE 150" anybody out there know what it is? pretty shure id be close 2 it though! put on some weight in 2 yrs (lol)

Can't offer any advice, but wanted to ask you a question or two. I've just started the AFF course in Picton, NSW. Upon being qualified, do you still need to stay current, or can you take time off without having to repeat any training? Also, would you recommend buying my own gear once I'm qualified, or rent, which would be cheaper?

I can answer the gear one. Compare what you'd be spending on gear hire each jump and at how much you're prepared to spend on your first rig. Then look at how quickly it would pay for itself if you werent renting. For me, at $28 rent a jump, a $2800 rig would be paid off in 100 jumps, which isn't a lot.

Easy. :)

How much rent for a rig at your DZ? $28, that's insane.
At our DZ (Moorsele, Belgium) you'd have to pay about $9 extra on your jumpmoney.
It's a big difference.

Maybe this is a good new thread: "What's the price of a rental rig at your DZ?"
oohwell, any thread is good if it is about skydiving.

Greetz Q

You don't a parachute to jump but you do if you want to do it again.
You don't need a parachute to jump but YOU DO if want to do it again.

Hey, welcome to Picton :)
I don't have many jumps myself so take what i say with a grain of salt - check with the guys at Picton anyways. Once you have your A you are 'qualified' as such and can take time off (although it's not advised to take a long break with low jump numbers) but you will become uncurrent after about 30 days of no jumps (i think). When you come back to jumping you'll probably need to do some brief retraining just before your jump or jump with an instuctor once. I'm not exactly sure how it works but i think that's the advised course of action.

On another note it costs about $80 all up for one jump ticket and rental of gear (once you are cleared to do solos) so i would think it would be cheaper overall to purchase a rig when you get the chance. I've had mine for a few weeks now and only just jumped it for the first time on the weekend... so much better than using the student gear. So if you can afford it once you've finished AFF and got your A then do look at buying a rig.
:)

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie