bjkat81

New to Sport, Need Advice and Info

Hello everyone. I have been wanting to skydive for years. I finally made my first jump (tandem) last weekend, and my excitement was justified. LOVED IT. Felt like I was meant to be in the air. I'd like to get more involved in the sport, get my license, and make skydiving a part of my life.
Some questions if you wouldn't mind offering some advice...
1) What is the best and most economical way to progress as a skydiver? AFF?
2) Could you tell me the steps it takes to become licensed, and also the costs of each step. How much and when should I get equipment? How much is the cost of each dive at each level (Estimated)?
3) anything else I should be prepared for

Thanks for the help, I just need to get an insider's idea of what I'm getting into, especially the economic costs of the sport.

Welcome! Glad you had lots of fun. Check out uspa.org for license requirements. AFF costs are different everywhere, so it depends on where you jump. Good luck with your student progression!

billy d------------------------- "Escape may be checked by water and land, but the air and the sky are free." (from the story of Daedalus and Icarus)

Welcome!
Ya, costs vary, as do the programs offered at different DZ's. I'm taking AFP at Skydive Chicago which requires 2 tandem's before, then 18 instructed jumps. It's more comprehensive than standard AFF. It's $1800 for the total package, or each jump individually is between $170 and $80. (They go down in price as you progress) All jumps include full gear. This program also included video on every jump, most DZ's don't.

I would just visit web sites for the DZ's in your area, I'm sure most have some info on their training programs. Make sure you know what's included in the "package" and if there are any extra costs. Also visit uspa.org like Billy suggested. You'll need 25 jumps to get your A license. Each one has to be signed off by an instructor. You do a final check dive, then if you pass you get your A!

Welcome to the sport from another newbie. :)
Jeth B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I also agree with the above. I originally started on RAPS progression but converted to AFF! It can be a little expensive but hey.........if its something you love to do you will find a way of getting the funds. I was a DJ but had to make a decision. Skydiving or DJ'ing so i sold my deck, records etc and raised enough to money to cover my AFF course and a little extra to spend on a jump suite, helmet alti etc. Best £1500 i have ever spent doing AFF :-) Good luck and enjoy!!!!