rokitmom

My family swears I'll kill myself if I continue...

Hi Karen "Rokitmom,"
In reply to if any of us ever find ourselves "obsessed" with this sport? hahahahahahLOL The answer is NO. Obsession is a perfume, Skydiving is "LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I made my firsrt jump when I was 18 years old. Now, some 40 years later I have 3800+ jumps and as the joke goes, "I never could find a good reason to quit!!" I now have a house full of fotos, old skydiving mags., memoribilia, parachute gear, a couple of sewing machines and a world full of "Friends!!!" Right now you're in the learning curve. When you get to the point where you are calling all your shots, then YOU are the one who is responsible for your survival. "Knowledge is Power!!!!" Keep us posted on your progress.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Do any of you find yourselves obsessing about jumping?

Pretty much... :D
I find myself to be helplessly addicted. :)

About the whuffo-family:
Hubby *must* do a skydive (tandem), there is no other way he will ever understand. And there is no way you can ever explain the thrill of skydiving.
And I'm sure if kids & grandparents come to watch both of you skydiving, you will get a lot less whuffo-talk from them in the future. Hell you might even become the "most cool parents" around. :o

It's amazing what one skydive can do to peoples attitude towards the sport. B|

Sidenote: Sometimes I find it hard to grasp how some whuffos can be so ignorant, even get hysterical about skydiving. For 2 years now I cannot help but putting people into 3 categories: Skydiver, Non-Jumper, Whuffo.

Not jumping is not a sin, if you don't like it, so be it. But WHUFFO's really annoy me... :D

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

And while I'm still new to this forum, I'm still not sure if the following are still whuffo's:

1) One jump tandems, never to jump again.
2) Me with my 11 static line jumps from 400m.

1) Don't know. I'm leaning towards still whuffo.

2) Definatley not. You're a jumper. Some may call you a cardigan, but you're not a whuffo.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Welcome to skydiving! My parents were hella freaked out about my sister and me jumping every weekend, but we finally convinced my mom to go skydiving last summer. Now, she wants to go again, my dad wants to go, and they can't wait to hear our jumping stories every weekend! Keep working at them, and you're right, skydiving...as long as you're safe about it...is safer than most people think.

Don't worry. I'm sure your family will come around once they realize how much you love it and how happy it makes you. My husband used to be really concerend about my safety and would come to the DZ with me when I first started to jump, but once he realized he wasn't going to have to claim my body or take me to the hospital he went back to his routine of playing golf on the weekends. Now he is really proud of my skydiving and braggs about me to all his friends. My kids didn't mind me skydiving, maybe because I've never been a conventional mom and have done a lot of other things most moms wouldn't do. My daughter did a tandem and loved it, but didn't continue due to the cost. My parents weren't surprised at all when I started skydiving since they knew it's something I've always wanted to do. They're completely supportive and look forward to my phone call on the way home from the DZ to hear abut my latest skydiving adventures.

So hang in there and ENJOY! Good luck!!

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Obsessed? Definatly!
My mom isn't all that excited about me jumping (she screamed watching some of my video, but then again she screams when she plays video games:D). My dad and brothers all think its cool. One brother is going to come and do a tandem in a couple weeks, the others when they turn 18. I told my dad that if he gets his weight down to 220 I'd pay for his tandem, now he's even more motivated to lose a few pounds.
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."