argon

20+ year layoff finally ends.

For reasons I still don't personally understand, I stopped jumping in 1983. Static Line jumps simply scared the shit out of me. Even finally progressing to a hop and pop left me wondering if I really wanted to pursue further training. But the sport never really escapped me,occasional copies of Parachutist seemed to find their way into my reading. Commercial Pilot,Multi engine and instrument ratings kept me busy.A subscription to Skydiving Magazine always kept me informed but to make a Looonnnngg story short ,I happened to spend a couple of hours at the Ranch in Gardiner NY and was overwhelmed by the good vibes.A week later I found myself strapped into a tandem harness taking a wonderful ride to 14Kft in a twin otter. I was amazed that I was calm beyond belief and couldn't wait to get out that door. I can't belief I have wasted over 20 years not doing this. I worried that I would have so much sensory overload I wouldn't enjoy the jump. On the contrary-it is burned so clearly in my mind I've been practically buzzed for 2 days!!! That sensation of FREEFALL is so wonderful,so ethereal an absolute pleasure--I'm without words.A rough landing in very gusty winds have left me with a sore butt -- something I'm glad to have after finally experiencing a skydive that makes me want to be back in the breeze again-this time for good.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Welcome to the forums! :)

No doubt about it-my tandem master spent alot of time answering gear questions and now 3 days later I still can't believe I had very little fear at all. We did an unpoised exit-(kinda rolled out the door on our hands and knees headfirst)tumbled a few times then got nice and stable-out came the drogue. My first thought was that I have missed out on a LOT of fun. I got some catching up to do!!!!
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Welcome Back!
Personally I hope that I'll never have to "leave" this sport ever, but since I probably won't become licensed for 1-2 yrs., I can only stare at planes flying overhead and be thankful that I discovered the sport at a young age (18!) and now I have the rest of my life to do it!
Hmmm, I think I'm gonna be a pretty cool Grandma, jumping outta airplanes!!!:ph34r:

Sarah

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I happened to spend a couple of hours at the Ranch in Gardiner NY and was overwhelmed by the good vibes.A week later I found myself strapped into a tandem harness taking a wonderful ride to 14Kft in a twin otter.

Maybe I'll see you up at The Ranch this weekend - if the weather holds on Saturday, it's likely that I'll owe plenty of beer for graduating IAF. Great vibes up there, for sure!

I happened to spend a couple of hours at the Ranch in Gardiner NY and was overwhelmed by the good vibes.A week later I found myself strapped into a tandem harness taking a wonderful ride to 14Kft in a twin otter.

Maybe I'll see you up at The Ranch this weekend - if the weather holds on Saturday, it's likely that I'll owe plenty of beer for graduating IAF. Great vibes up there, for sure!

Good luck-we really had a bad landing in those gusty winds-everything is ok,but very sore,but at the time I really had to lay in the peas for awhile until I was sure everything was working. In a way I'm glad it happened-I really didn't think I could hit so hard and still walk away--It sucks not being in my 20's anymore-I got ALOT of worn out parts. Overall though I've had a smile on my face all week.The tandem master felt really bad though when he thought I might have really been hurt. It really made me realize that canopy training is something that can't be taken lightly either.

Good luck-we really had a bad landing in those gusty winds-everything is ok,but very sore,but at the time I really had to lay in the peas for awhile until I was sure everything was working. In a way I'm glad it happened-I really didn't think I could hit so hard and still walk away--It sucks not being in my 20's anymore-I got ALOT of worn out parts. Overall though I've had a smile on my face all week.The tandem master felt really bad though when he thought I might have really been hurt. It really made me realize that canopy training is something that can't be taken lightly either.

On my level 2 tandem, our canopy collapsed at around 30' (turbulance) and we piled it in real hard. I wasn't hurt, but it taught me the importance of judging the winds and making a sound go/no-go decision. No sense being a hero and jumping in bad winds - especially for a student with a big canopy and limited experience. Good lesson to learn with an expert pilot at the controls :)

First Post!

I've been out for several years now. I made my first jump in '87 before college. When I went back to school, my folks didn't approve of my jumping and since they were helping with the rent and co-signing loans, I grounded myself. After school I got into a decent paying job outside my career field and started jumping again, then all of that effort in school drove me into the low paying job that I had prepared for.

To sum up, I'm back in the high paying field but still grounded. Now its health reasons, but in less than a year they should be all cleared up. I envy those of you that are out jumping right now, I hope to be joining you next spring.

Welcome. I did the same. With the exception of a military static line jump, I didn't skydive from 72 til 92. I went from rounds to squares and it's been a thrill. On thing about this sport is you never stop learning and you get to see a lot of new stuff.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I'm just overwhelmed with excitement-It's all that's been in my thoughts. My back is still too sore or I would have been jumping again this weekend. (I waited 20 years- a few more days until I'm 100% won't matter.) I bought the Skydiving Survival 5 DVD set and have watched it several times already. I'm so glad I can remember the whole experience so clearly and just can't wait to get back to the DZ. Best of all my wife is so very supportive. (Basically,she'd rather see me jump than ride motorcycles) Go figure.

With a supportive wife and an attitude like yours, you are going to have fun. Remember to stay in shape. Being in shape can make a difference in small tumbles or even packing in the summer. Good luck.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I did my first tandem on 4-4. I'm not fond of the static line either, but I have learned a lot from the 3 that I have done. I'm learning to be a parachutist. I'll have plenty of time for freefall. S/L progression is a LOT cheaper than tandem or AFF. I have one more to go before first solo freefall. Like many others, I'm sure, I've had a little apprehension during the week, but I can't get it out of my head. It's easy to say now, but I don't think I'll ever be able to walk away.

By no means have I conquered fear, but I have knocked the crap out of it.