KolinskyDC

I Love This Sport

Hey everyone,

First just let me say, I wish I had discovered this sport sooner in life. It is the most amazing thing I have ever experienced in my life and I am a total addict. I jump at Jumptown in Orange Ma and the people there are so incredible and welcomed my friends and me with open arms, truly like family now. Myself and four of my friends went up in July to do our first tandem and all of us thought it would be a one time thing. Boy, were we wrong, it is amazing how quickly it becomes such a huge part of your life. I honestly think I will be doing this when I am 70 even though my family thinks it is a "phase" and will pass. I talk about it constantly and think everyone wants to strangle me cuz they are so sick of hearing about it. Any advice for a newcomer would be greatly appreciated. I did read something about a canopy class with Scott Miller (I think that was the name I read) So who is he, where is he and how do I get in touch with him? I definitely need work in that area. I really enjoy reading these posts, informative yet entertaining. Look forward to chatting with some of you in the future.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

welcome! I feel the same way as you, about skydiving when i'm 70 (as long as i'm still alive:)
blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Welcome to the forums! As you will find everyone here is nice and welcoming just like your DZ. I just started this month and am already at 16 jumps so I know exactly what you mean about addicted!;)

As for the late in life thing I got ya covered there too! I am 32.:S

But hey, better late than never.

Its no phase in life, I've done several sports in life, snow and water skiing, tennis, x-country running, baseball and wrestling. Those were phases; if I never pick up a racket again I'd never miss tennis.

Thanks for the link. I will be in Orlando this spring and will definitely set something up at Deland, it is only 40 miles away. Someone at my DZ also mentioned something about the wind tunnel in Orlando, to practice freefall skills, sounds like a good time. Has anyone tried one before?

Melissa

Its no phase in life, I've done several sports in life, snow and water skiing, tennis, x-country running, baseball and wrestling. Those were phases; if I never pick up a racket again I'd never miss tennis.

I hear you on that. I have actually given some thought to getting my pilot's license, so I can fly to warmer climates in the winter to go skydiving, because I can't imagine going 3 months without a jump and I don't fly in commercial planes...go figure. My family is baffled by that one as well.."You won't fly in a plane but you will jump out of one" Makes perfect sense to me, but not anyone else. :S

Welcome to our world. It's been said that skydiving isn't a sport but instead a lifestyle and the longer I'm around, the more I believe it. Would you believe that I am a licensed private pilot (was one before I became a skydiver) and I really don't fly all that much anymore. You see I get everything I need out of skydiving and the bottom line is that I just enjoy being in the air. I like cross-country GA flights, but they are not cheap and they are time consuming. So flying commercial is cheaper and faster. But then commercial aviation is cold and boring compared to general aviation.

Anyway ... welcome and tell us about your skydiving experiences as they occur. In my short time in this sport, I have learned that skydivers like to talk about skydiving amoungst each other while whuffos just couldn't care less about our stories and experiences.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

In my short time in this sport, I have learned that skydivers like to talk about skydiving amoungst each other while whuffos just couldn't care less about our stories and experiences.

Yeah I noticed this too. I do not work or live with skydivers and they do not get my excitement. Although my kids think it is cool and want to do it too. But it sucks not having people around that get jazzed over my excitement. ;)

welcome to the forums, but why are you going to stop jumping at 70? ;)

Actually, I said I will be doing this when I am 70 and probably will be up until it is my time to go...hopefully many years later. Hey maybe when I am 70, I will be taking my great grandchildren for their first tandems...cool thought. I have a 4 year old son and already he runs around the DZ saying "Mommy, I want to go jump out of the plane" too bad he has to wait 14 more years.

Melissa

Hi Melissia

I know exactly what you mean, I love this sport and also wish I had done it much earlier in my life as well. Important thing is that we discovered it and are now doing it ;) Making up for lost time ;) Know what you mean about being welcomed as family. Skydivers are the GREATEST of people :D Look forward to seeing you around. Welcome.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

hey ther kolin...i know you, you may know me.... but im not tellin::)))) scott millers class is awesome.... i took it this year in may and he took so much of his personal time with us, i was suprised.... he took me into his class with no questions even tho i was still on student status.... awesome personality and really cool stuff to learn, very easy going..... and he knows what he's talking about since he's a "test pilot" for all the canopies that PD makes.... when a spot orens up in the clas hop on it if they will let you.... gary recommended me to him and felt that i was doing well enough in the aff class to be able to take it.... so ask your aff class instructor what he thinks then grab the first opening you can...its well worth it!!!.... and welcome to jumptwon.... we got the same welcome last year.... it seems history repeats itself in a good way up there!!

Hey Myriah,
Didn't take much to figure out that it was you ;) I am quite the detective. Thanks for the reply, I will watch out for any upcoming clases that are being held and will jump at the chance to take one. So where have you and that hubby of yours been? The last time I saw you was the day of your wedding, congrats, by the way. Hope married life is treating you well. I will be up at Jumptown for the next few weekends, trying to get in as many jumps a I can before it gets ridiculously cold and all we can do is hop n pops. Hope to see you guys up there one of these weekends. Tell Goose I say hello.

Melissa