jeep4x4girl76

new to the game

i live in KY and am trying to get over a fear of heights that has held me back from doing alot of the things that i find very interesting. if anyone has a clue on how to get over fears, let me know. i was rescently introduced about skydiving and i wouldlike to know more, like everything there is to know, so if you can fill me in and help me understand it better, i would appreciate it greatly. thanks.

Heights really mess me up. The fear of heights isn't really the fear of being high, its the fear of falling and injurying yourself. Skydiving is different, it really doesn't mess with you in that regard. It's one hell of a rush, but the fear of heights thing doesn't come into play. You're high enough your brain can't tell how high you are and you're wearing a rig, so its a totally different sensation.

I've got nearly 800 jumps and I still have problems getting on ladders and such, but I LOVE jumping out of airplanes.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Like AggieDave said, it is a whole different feel when you are jumping from an airplane than standing at the edge of a two story building.:o Fear( been said many times here) keeps us in check. It gives us a healthy respect for things that may hurt us. I don't think you can really over come fear, but I do think you can learn to manage your fear.
As far as skydiving and learning all about it.....Well you can hang around here.( A lot of good info) Another thing to do is visit a drop zone close to you and just check it out, even if you don't jump at first just hang around and see what everyone gets so excited about.

Hope to see you in the air, Todd

that's a really nice truck. how long have you had it for? i don't have pics of the jeep on the computer yet, my camera is being a pain, but as soon as i do, i'll post it. i've been working my fear of heights and i can now make it up the 3rd rung of a ladder, i'm really determined to get over this fear.

Me=Deathly afraid of heights. I get big time vertigo. Even the Movie Castaway, when Tom Hanks is looking over the cliff, Made my stomach turn.

First 21 or 22 jumps every single time I got on the plane I swore it was going to be my last as I HATED being on it but once that door came open it was like "Ok now I REMEMBER why i got on this damn thing!"

I still never want to ride DOWN with the plane. Prefer to get the F^%^ out and get to the ground first.:)
No one can ever truly describe to you what you are going to experiance but I know it changed my life.

Blue SKies!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

well i've finally convinced myself that this is something i REALLY want to do, but trying to get my husband to see my point has proven to be alot tougher. he thinks if i do this, i'll be coming home in a body bag. he loves repelling and wants no part in skydiving. when i told him i wanted to jump out of plane, he laughed and said i come up with the strangest notions. but maybe if i bug him to death like i did about getting satelite tv, then i'll get my way..haha.

I hate hights too, ladders, roofs, trees, etc. But put a rig on me and give me enought alti to deploy, and Im a happy camper.
Im sure youll come through.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

My husband thinks that I am just completely nuts for wanting to jump out of an airplane if I don't absolutely have to do it. Maybe I am, but if I am, I'm sure not ythe only one that is (including our daughter). ;)

Besides I'm safer skydiving than driving on the interstate everyday. Now that is scary!!!!!

Good luck on talking hubby into it, I didn't give mine a choice. He comes and watches my daughter and I jump, so he's very supportive even if he does say were are nuts!

I just read somewhere that your eyes lose a sense of depth perception after 1/2 a mile or so because of their position on your head. I don't know if that's true or not, but it sounds good anyway. I am timid of heights...the falling and hurting scares me. What was really unnerving for me (and still is to an extent), is when you are in the JM position and that door opens. YIKES! Especially in our Cessna! Double YIKES!!

Waving off,
jeff.
Waving off,
jeff.