Scoop

Buying first rig

Hi everyone! I have started my AFF training and am hooked! ;) I obviously dont intend to rent equipment forever so at what point do you recommend getting my first rig?

I pretty much know what I want from gear reviews and speaking to others (although havent tried it personally) and know that there will be a delay for manufacture and delivery. Would it be OK to get my own gear before gaining A licence? The only problem I see is ive only used a ripcord to date.

Now where did that first rig faq sticky go?;)

Did you do a search on "first rig" in this forum? (see rules...)[:/]

Did you read this article?

Here's my advice why to wait...
Read the linked threads, not just my posts:D, they will give you a good rundown...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

hehe, cheers! :$:D
Still like to know what you would think of this....

A nice infinity container with a 210 main. (im 195pounds). I felt that this was a sensible route. Not too aggressive and if & when I felt I needed it, I could always get a smaller canopy. (despite the cost! [:/])

Well, what do your instructors say? Whatever people tell you here, we don't know you and all have different frames of reference.

I think, though, that it's a wise choice for a beginners rig. It will put you under a wing loaded at ~0.93:1 (sqft/lbs), which is ok at your jump numbers.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I think, though, that it's a wise choice for a beginners rig. It will put you under a wing loaded at ~0.93:1 (sqft/lbs), which is ok at your jump numbers.

I dont want to be a know it all or a canopy Nazi, but at 195lbs body weight (which is probably what someone on AFF is discussing) comes to more like 215-220lbs exit weight. That gives a wingloading of 1.05 psf... not far off mine... :S and on nearly 200 jumps I still find my Spectre 'exciting' at that wingloading in nil winds!;)B|

Even on the old square Sabre that might be a little much at the moment. My friend of a similar size got a 230 and he has 40 jumps...

Other than bringing this out I don't think I am going to hand out any advice other than go big!!:P You may not think it looks cool, but neither does falling over or using crutches!!:P

Blue skies and good luck looking for that perfect rig!!B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I dont want to be a know it all or a canopy Nazi, but at 195lbs body weight (which is probably what someone on AFF is discussing) comes to more like 215-220lbs exit weight. That gives a wingloading of 1.05 psf... not far off mine... :S and on nearly 200 jumps I still find my Spectre 'exciting' at that wingloading in nil winds!;)B|
------------------------------------------------------------

Yep - your right. 195 is my body weight not exit weight. I will have a chat with instructors as they will have seen a variety of canopies/students in their time. See what they have to say.

Thanks guys!!
('exciting' is good but crutches or wheelchair? hmm. Im in no rush!) :P:D

Hmmm, here is my rant. :P You KNOW in your heart whether or not your going to be a skydiver or not. From your post and your excitment, I'm guessing this is going to be a great journey for you. As you progress in your jumping career, you find your own likes and dislikes, and you will form your own habits and styles - many of this on your first 200 jumps. Since you are still learning and growing then, My advice for you would be to save the extra $$ and buy your first rig used. (plus, you may decide to downsize after your first 30-300 jumps). Buy used, see what you like and what you really want from this sport, THEN blow the bank and buy new.

Blue skies,
=========Shaun ==========

Welcome to skydiving.

The advice you are getting is in your best interest. Unless you a just a trust fund titty sucker, the speed of your decisions can be costly, unsafe and cost you more than dollars.

For now, 1) focus on completing the AFF program. You have a lot to do. 2) Next step is to work on your "A" License - still more to do. 3) While you are doing this begin your education on gear.

1. Get you a paragear catalog - you'd be surprosed how much you will learn on the throne while reading this.
2. Read Lisa's article on buying gear.
3. Read Billvon's list of tips & tricks about canopy control prior to downsizing.

Enthusiasm is a good thing. In this sport, controlled enthusiasm is even better.

Finally, finish up your profile.

I'm fairly fresh with only 70 or so jumps, but here's what I did (am doing). My DZ has a great shop (SQ1) with a demo program that lets you try out gear as much as you want for as long as you want before you buy. The caveat is you have to buy a new rig from them and put some cash down (1000+). That gives you unlimited jumps for 50-100 a month (or free if you put down 4k). The reason I did it was to try out a ton of different canopies and rigs before I plunked down thousands of $ to buy. It's hard to try all the stuff out there and it's impossible to know if you like it if you don't fly it. I think the program's great and I've been using it to the fullest. I've downsized from a 210 off AFF to 150 now, which would have been difficult or expensive if I had bought gear initially. At this point I'll probably order a rig soon since I don't think going below 150 anytime soon is a great idea.
As an aside, don't be too eager to downsize and think hard about it before you do. I usually pull a little high and play with the canopy to learn how it flies (flat turns, front/rear risers, stalling it into a ball of shiznit, etc) and really concentrate on good landings and accuracy. Having gone down a few sizes in a relatively short period of time, I can attest to the fact that the tolerance for pilot error goes down dramatically and exponentially as the canopy size decreases. Just my 2 cents...
Check out ebay too if you're set on buying. A buddy of mine bought an Infinity with a PD? 150 and reserve but no AAD for 2500. ONE jump on it.... what a steal. Guess the poor sap's wife didn't like him jumping out of planes.

Peace

J