califlyer78

Skydiving pilots

So I'm likely moving to Hawaii and want a job dropping skydivers. I've only jumped once myself though have full intentions of many more...if you're on my plane, hope I don't decide to go while you'e up with me;) ha ha ha!! Anyway, I'm new to the site and hoping someone knows of a school that may be looking for a pilot that's a lot of fun, a hard worker, and loves to fly/jump! I'm not a mechanic, though:(

Nicki

Best advice I can give you is to check out the local DZ's and see what they are looking for. Are you familiar with WWW.DiverDriver.com it's a great site for those of us who fly the loads. Don't forget to check the classifieds right here. If that does'nt work you can always resort to bribery and blackmail.He He. Good luck with the search and enjoy Hawaii.

Anyway, I'm new to the site and hoping someone knows of a school that may be looking for a pilot that's a lot of fun, a hard worker, and loves to fly/jump! I'm not a mechanic, though:(

Nicki

Hey. Well, first of all, speaking as a skydiver and a pilot.....I prefer pilots that skydive as well. Not pilots that PLAN to skydive, but pilots that are experienced skydivers. I also prefer pilots with a fair amount of experience(at least 1000TT - preferably some time as a CFI - for the smaller aircraft). I don't want to be in the airplane with a fresh commercial pilot with the ink still wet on their ticket. I've been there - he damn near killed me. Experience means a lot - regardless of how good of a pilot somebody is.

With that said, the best thing to do is go in person to the DZ's around your area. If you can't do that(which I'm guessing you can't since you said you are moving, not that you have moved) - then call and see who to talk to(usually DZO at smaller DZ's) regarding a position. Talk to that person, let them know your experience level and when you will be arriving in the area, and then send a resume via mail or fax. Follow up in a week or two. If you don't hear anything significant by the time you arrive, go visit them in person.

The first part of this was not to discourage you if you are a low timer....just letting you know what I expect - as a pilot and a skydiver. I fly for a living, so I don't fly when I go to the DZ - I just want to jump. I have flown jumpers in the past, but I don't anymore.

Good luck!

Mike

Thanks for the pointers!! I've already contacted some people. I'm not a totally new pilot... I'm still new but the ink has definately dried... I have 560 Multi, 365 turbine, and 245 turbojet (almost entirely 135 but some 91 corporate as well and air ambulance) but my low total time is proving problematic for insurance companies. Anyway, I do appreciate the pointers and I'll keep at it!

Nicki