skygazer

Case of Nerves

Hi Everyone,

Here we have yet another newbie with an issue. Please forgive the length, it is hard for me to put into words the feelings that I have going on.

I have done two tandems and am doing a third this Sunday (will be doing AFP in Spring) and going out with a group of friends that will be doing tandems as well.

Problem is this…first tandem, no fear…only problem was a breathing thing that several folks have now given me suggestions on how to work through. I was so overwhelmed with the sights I missed pulling and my tandem guy pulled.We had only four of us jumping that load, even with the video folks, plenty of room in the plane. Second jump – plane was chock full – 3 tandems, everyone else jumping on their own. We had waiting all day to jump and on the ride up, I got totally freaked out – claustrophobia set in but I got through that – when we headed for the door I was scared witless. Once out, I did ok, same breathing thing (I got the suggestions afterward on how to get through, will be trying them on Sunday), pulled on my own, had a blast and had a great landing again. Best high ever. My weirdness now is I wonder (and I think waaaay to much) is will I be freaked or cool. I have to admit this is really getting to me. I feel like I want to do AFP but now I have a case of the jitters I never had before.

Am I nuts? I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts here. I feel like Sunday’s jump will do where I learn if I can do it or not. I love what jumping has done for me, the high, the people I have met, everyone here in the Forums. As the day draws closer I get more edgy. We are planning a day long party, beer and birthday cake one of our friends who is jumping.

Help………………….

I found that when I started jumping, I did a tandem, and wasn't really that nervous till I saw people droping out the door. Then a friend droped out, then I went, and all was good. Signed up for AFF, did my first 2 jumps then got nervous.

I think for people that are under 10 jumps or so, you still are in the phase where you think your tempting luck/fate that the 'thing' will open and that you can get to the ground safely. Now, I have 40 jumps, and freely (and repeadetly) jump. As much as I can, its the greatest thing, but I didn't realize this till I got over my door fear... took like 8-10 jumps for it to go away.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Welcome to the forums! :)

That's very good advice. When i'm nervous ahead of a jump, i close my eyes and concentrate on my body's feeling, where my muscles are under tension, i try to relax them (focus!) and whether i breathe calm. Then i start a backward count, opening the eyes at zero and i usually feel much better then.
HTH
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

No, you aren't nuts...yet;) That will come when you jump regularly and tell about it to non-skydivers. They will tell you you're nuts then.
On a serious note. Your fears ARE normal. It took me a few jumps to get over it. In my case, they just vanished, just like this between one jump and another. I guess it was when I overcame the sensory overload. Even now, with about 150 jumps, I still have some apprehension from time to time.
Try the respiratory excersise as suggested, as well as relaxation. If you can go through your incoming jump while the plane is climbing, it might help you concentrate on the jump and keep your mind from wandering. Talk about it to your instructor/tandem pilot and see what they suggest. So far all you have described is normal, no worries.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

Getting nervous is nothing to be ashamed of. Heck, with over 3300 jumps under my belt, I still get nervous on occasion but my knowledge of the sport and my equipment helps me get through it.

I always pay attention to the little voice in the back of my head. Wind is too high. Clouds are too thick. You don't feel well, so stay on the ground. By paying attention, I stay alive.

You can educate yourself on the sport to help you overcome some of your apprehensions.

Blue, Clear, and Calm Skies!!
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

Thank so much to everyone. Another friend told me that part of my "problem" could be that we waited so long in between jumps, first one In late June, another in mid-August, now in late September. My hope is that Sunday's jump will be awesome and then I can do AFP in Spring.

Hmmm.what the HELL do I do all winter? Yikes!!!

Mmmmm. works for me. So much for enjoyable to do at work instead of work!!!

My friends don't want to hear about Skydiving anymore...I get that glazed, "Oh God, not again" look.

Glad you all don't mind listening to me!!!

HaHa

As another newbie to the sport I can relate to what you are going through. It seems like the body is still screaming "YOU'RE GONNA DO WHAT!?" This past weekend I went up for my AFF2 and was fine on the plane other than my normal motion sickness problem with flying in general which wasn't as bad as it usually is..
We talked through the dive, I visualized the jump. After a hard landing ( flared late landed on my butt in the middle of the peas) I thought it went well. During debrief I found out that I forgot to do my practice touches and hardly moved at all during the turn sequence.
I had to repeat the level.

During the wait for the next load I started getting really nervous but knew that I had to go again.

On the ride up my mouth was dry, I was sweating like nobody's business and the stomach was doing some freestyle of it's own.

Once we got in the door everything went great to include my first stand up landing.

Stick with it, you can do this thing.

Skygazer
My only advise to you aside from RELAX! is to get through some of your AFP this fall if you can.. I did three tandems last year and waited ALL winter for AFP.. it was horrible! Get the taste of what it's like to be on your own.. it will help you get through the winter.give you something to look forward to. I see you are from Chicago.. I assume you jump out of Skydive Chicago then? [

Visit the DZ, even if you don't jump. At least you can get some training on packing. That will come handy and save you jump time when you are getting through your A licence. Also by hanging around at the DZ, you are still among the crowd and it's a good thing for your morale, as well as to gather some knowledge.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

I completely understand how you feel. I was much more nervous on my second jump than on my first. I only have 11 now, but I'm not really nervous anymore. I think the jitters went away around jump 7. I found if I close my eveys about 10 seconds before DOOR! and take a few deep breaths, it help a lot. I also try not to look out the door at jumpers exiting before me--that still freaks me out a little. Just concentrate on how great it's going to be and tell yourself "I did it before, I can do it again". And try to keep your jumps close together--the more time that goes by in between jumps, the more nervous you'll be. Good luck!!! :)
=======================
"What I want is what I've not got ,but what I need is all around me"-DMB
Meghan

You can talk with manifest and they can probably let you buy the freefall videos to watch over the winter, I would also say if you can pay for the entire package upfront you save a lot of money rather then paying jump for jump. Get out there every weekend and bang out jumps back to back it helps lesson the anxiety, if you can stay out there it helps a lot. I started Afp Memorial Day weekend and Graduated on the 4th of July this year. The AfP instructors are awesome!! As far as other "study tools' check in paraconcepts they have videos and books and such. One thing I didn't do was prepare for being off student status.. remember you graduate and you are still going to go on. Take into consideration cost for possible repeat jumps, rental gear, your own gear, the sport is AWESOME but burns a hole in your pocket that is for sure! Do you have plans to shoot out to SDC anytime in the near future?

Yep, were are going this Sunday the 21st - weather sounds like it will be good (crossing my fingers).

We are doing third tandem. We are bringing out a birthday cake for my friend - there will be PLENTY for all. If you are out there it would be nice to meet you!!!
Thanks for the great ideas and words!

The 21st hu? Try to get out there early and watch the swoop competition. I am celebrating my birthday out there this weekend as well. I actually maybe working on Sunday at SDC but I will just look for the birthday cake and try to find you! You can't miss me I'm the smallest blond girl out there. If I can't find you good look on that tandem and just relax and have fun! If I can find you I'll try to get on the same load.

Sunday is one of my girlfriends B-days, I wish I could go back to 21!!! NAAAA...I am at a good place in my life! Happy BDAY to you, too. We are gonna come out around 10 or so. The 4 of us that made our first jump together are coming along with our buddy from Dayton that has made a ton of jumps and turned us on to the sport. He went with us the first time too! Should be a great day, we'll look for ya.