GroundRush1

Hello Folks

Chris: You have a single point riser release system (your cutaway handle). In the "old days" of skydiving not all rigs had the same deployment, cutaway or reserve deployment locations or methods. Before the cutaway system you are familiar with was available, it took two hands to open and release the main risers from your container. Thank goodness enough early generation skydivers survived to tell us that there must be a better way - and TAAA DAAA! The single point riser release system was developed.
Personally, I call myself a "new age skydiver". I am very gratefully to all those military and sport jumpers that figured the hard stuff out for us.
"Stripping the handle" means to make sure the cable has cleared the housing. Especially if I have a short jumper, if my cable housing is long, they have the potential of pulling the handle and not extracting the pin. I do NOT know of a situation that this has occurred recently, but it never hurts to be careful.
Time is not on your side with a malfunction. But you do NOT want to pull both the cutaway and reserve handle instantaneously or at the same time. Ask your instructors to clarify. I'm sure they will go over it thoroughly.
Many DZ's do not require the student to join USPA until after their 3rd or 4th jump. Many find it more convenient to have the student get a 45 day temporary membership immediately and then remind the student to either renew in 45 days or then recommend a full year membership once the 45 day one has expired. The 45 day membership is good for out of country jumpers in town for a short while and want USPA membership, cost effective for the student who is not sure if they really are staying in the sport, etc, etc. If the drop zone is not a USPA Group member, they won't require it at all. Jim Crouch, USPA staff member of Safety & Training and I spoke today. USPA does not have a time or deadline requirement of exactly when a student is required to join USPA. Simply, both you the student and the DZ are not protected by USPA until the student is a member.
Is it hard to pull the cutaway handle? The average pull force is 15 lbs. That varies greatly depending on the container, what reserve is in the container, and your rigger's skills. My recommendation is ask your DZ school to let you pull the cutaway and reserve handles of their next student rig that is due for a repack. Once you own your own rig, I recommend every 120 days when you get your rig re-packed, go through the emergency procedures and actually pull the handles. That is what I do with both my rigs. In other words, find out for yourself.
Good luck! blue skies, Kate

Thanks for the info, that is a good idea. Shold give me some conception of what to expect when using the one handed method of pulling the cutaway. I was just worried about pulling with one hand, hand slipping off the handle or something like that. I was familiar with those pillow type handles. When you strip the line, assuming you cant pull the handle far out enough, should you just wrap your hand around the cable and keep pulling?
Also, should you not pull the reserve until the line is stripped completely out?
I am going to ask the DZ to let me do that with a student rig fixing to be repacked. Id go all the way down there just for that. When it comes to time constraint, I like to act fast as possible and not waste time. Same thing goes with most all extreme sports. Thanks for the suggestion.
Actually, about the old days, I hear they used to cutaway the main with a pocket knife. Now thats old fashioned. So, I guess by tradition, everyone still uses the term cutaway instead of breakaway. I dont know how reliable the pocket knife routine would be, but I wouldnt want to find out! Wonder what happens if you drop the knife.

When you strip the line, assuming you cant pull the handle far out enough, should you just wrap your hand around the cable and keep pulling? NO Keep your hand on the handle, pull to full extension or straight elbow, the stripping is with the opposite hand. With a flat palm (like a karate chop) clear the line from the end of the housing. Most folks have long enough arms that this is never an issue. But for short armed jumpers and over zealous cutaway techniques, stripping is helpful.
Also, should you not pull the reserve until the line is stripped completely out? Absolutely!!
Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep trackin