Ether

New book: "Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite"

http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_5886528?nclick_check=1
http://www.amazon.com/Off-Wall-Yosemite-Michael-Ghiglieri/dp/0970097379/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/002-2150591-7347239?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179177223&sr=8-4

The book is not for the faint of heart. It is an exhaustively researched, sprightly account of nearly 900 fatalities in Yosemite's 156 years of recorded history - every waterfall slip, rock-climbing mishap, animal attack, drowning and cold-blooded murder.

Like his 2001 book, "Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon," which was self-published and, he says, has sold more than 156,000 copies, the sequel offers more than voyeuristic thrills and chills. Ghiglieri, who has a doctorate in wildlife ecology from the University of California-Davis, finds useful lessons in human tragedy. He wants to peek inside the heads of victims and understand the string of disastrous decisions that lead to catastrophe.

Looking for newbie rig, all components...

lol....:)900 dead people 156 years?
hmm,...how many BASE jumpers....?
i think the park rangers should consider to read this book to realize that BASE jumping is not a real problem in yosimite...
they should start hunting the hikers, climbers and stuff....:P

l think the park rangers should consider to read this book to realize that BASE jumping is not a real problem in yosimite...
they should start hunting the hikers, climbers and stuff....:P

The Rangers on the ground, and the Search and Rescue teams, already know this. It's the bureaucrats in Washington DC (and a couple in the head offices at individual park units) who need the lesson.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Why is it that a popular energy drink is allowed to host an annual basejumping event at the Royal gorge bridge?

Why is that a different popular energy drink is allowed to fly polluting stuntplanes through monument valley?

I think you just need money...

or a tv show or movie production can open almost ANY object in the US, with a nice bribe, err "permit fee" and anything can be done. :|

or a tv show or movie production can open almost ANY object in the US, with a nice bribe, err "permit fee" and anything can be done. :|

If that was true, you'd have seen Tom Cruise BASE jumping in the opening scene of Mission Impossible 2. The free solo scene was a replacement for a planned BASE scene, for which the production company was unable to gain a permit, despite extensive lobbying of the Utah State Parks system. The intended exit point was one of the few in that Parks system that specifically prohibited BASE.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If that was true, you'd have seen Tom Cruise BASE jumping in the opening scene of Mission Impossible 2. The free solo scene was a replacement for a planned BASE scene, for which the production company was unable to gain a permit, despite extensive lobbying of the Utah State Parks system. The intended exit point was one of the few in that Parks system that specifically prohibited BASE.

touche, but maybe the mormons just dont like scientology in Utah:P Its strange that the studio extensivelly lobbied Utah SP when they could have gone to moab. and do you know if tom cruise would have actuallty made the jump himself? I seems improbable that a studio exec would sign off on that insurance policy.

Its strange that the studio extensivelly lobbied Utah SP when they could have gone to moab.

Interestingly, that exit point is pretty much in Moab. It's about 15 minutes drive to a legal exit. I think that they wanted that specific one for the recognizability, or the name, or something equally logical to filmmakers and equally inscrutable to everyone else.

and do you know if tom cruise would have actuallty made the jump himself? I seems improbable that a studio exec would sign off on that insurance policy.

I don't know, but I tend to agree with you.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com