NickDG

Brian Schubert's "Official" Fatality Report Released . . .

I didn't even think about doing Bridge Day until I had done some helicopter and balloon jumps so I'd be familiar with dead air.

And even then your 1st exit was...... headlow perhaps? But the dead air skills allowed you to recover....

Exactly right. I was a little headlow but corrected once I built up a little speed. Most first time (helicopter) jumpers end up swimming and flailing because the feeling is so different.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Safer at Twin Falls than Bridge Day???? How many fatalities at each place so far?

I don't think you can really compare. The number of jumps is different at each, as is the level of supervision. At Bridge Day, there's a staff of experienced jumpers, an organizational system requiring a certain minimum standard of gear and experience, and on site medical assistance.

Simply comparing total fatalities (especially without reference to total number of jumps) isn't a good way to judge the relative safety of a site. You'd have to compare fatalities per jump, but also injuries per jump. Then you'd have to make some kind of value judgment about what types of injuries (and how many) were "equivalent" to a fatality in evaluating the overall "safeness" of the site. When a jumper permanently loses both legs, is that "worth" half a fatality? A quarter? Personally, I think that's a pointless exercise in semantics, and one that will never see agreements, much less become productive.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com