cowboybob

gear advice??

I posted yesterday, asking about norway and regulations there, thanks for the great site. Here is the deal. I put 500 skydives on a sharpchuter, 245 sq. ft., and also 2 dozen more base jumps at bd and in t falls. I really have no interest in base jumping anything other than the big wall in norway. I do about 40-50 skydives a year, a trip to bridgeday, that is it. I am happy with the around performance of my sharpchuter, but I need to replace it. I know of a dagger 244 for a good price, 20 jumps on it. I weigh 175lbs naked. Why wouldn't this canopy perform as good as my sharpchuter on skydives, and to go to norway I could put it in a proper cont. and jump it there?? I have not really seen the landing area there. I might be pushing it with the wing loading, what do you guys think??

I have a 222, and after chritmas i can be 160. never had problems. i know a jedi who used the same 222 for 100 jumps in norway, france, etc. worked perfectly and he was 165 dry.

if its a good price i would go for it. unless its ugly. colors is the most important part.

I do think you're pushing it with the wingloading, and I'd recommend something bigger (probably a 280 or so) for a beginner your size.

That said, you likely have a lot more accuracy experience (I'm assuming that's why you're jumping the sharpchuter) than 99% of beginner BASE jumpers, so I'd feel a lot better about putting you under that Dagger 244 than almost anyone else at your level.

For what it's worth, expect the Dagger to feel a lot "swoopier" than your Sharpchuter. It won't sink nearly as well, and will have noticeably better glide and flare.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

it sure is swoopy. i agree with that. but its good and fun to do some swooping from time to time. fast wing it is.

I posted yesterday, asking about norway and regulations there, thanks for the great site. Here is the deal. I put 500 skydives on a sharpchuter, 245 sq. ft., and also 2 dozen more base jumps at bd and in t falls. I really have no interest in base jumping anything other than the big wall in norway. I do about 40-50 skydives a year, a trip to bridgeday, that is it. I am happy with the around performance of my sharpchuter, but I need to replace it. I know of a dagger 244 for a good price, 20 jumps on it. I weigh 175lbs naked. Why wouldn't this canopy perform as good as my sharpchuter on skydives, and to go to norway I could put it in a proper cont. and jump it there?? I have not really seen the landing area there. I might be pushing it with the wing loading, what do you guys think??

I own a Dagger 244 and Fox 245. The Dagger is more like a contemporary skydiving canopy in terms of landings, and the Fox sinks better. I prefer the Dagger when the landing area is wide open and potentially farther away (Moab, Potato bridge) and Fox for tighter landing areas (El Gigante, Royal Gorge).

For tight landing areas I prefer both at arround 150 pounds without gear than I do arround 170. An extra couple of sizes would be nice with 175 pounds of beer gut and baboon butt.