freakyrat

Chicago Judge Lets Base Jumpers Off The Hook

From todays Chicago Tribune. I left the Names of the jumpers off this story as per the thread rules.

Chris

Published October 21, 2006

CHICAGO -- Three men implicated in a predawn parachute jump from a skyscraper construction crane in Chicago last month were given a chance Friday to have the criminal charges against them dropped.

The parachutists, and their getaway driver were charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Cook County Circuit Judge William O'Malley presented them with a deal: No more parachuting of any kind for six months or getting into any other trouble, and the charges will be erased from their records.

The judge modified the bond for the three to include the parachuting ban and also ordered the men to stay away from the building site where they allegedly jumped in the early morning of Sept. 29, said Marcy Jensen, spokeswoman for the Cook County state's attorney's office.

A security camera recorded images of two parachutists gliding through the air just east of the Tribune Tower near North Michigan Avenue and also showed a car sitting idle with its lights off in front of NBC Tower. Once the parachutists landed, the car's lights flashed, the men got in and the car sped north on North Cityfront Plaza Drive.

The men allegedly were engaged in base jumping--parachuting off a fixed object such as a building, antenna or bridge, a dangerous stunt that is banned in most parts of the country.

I like this judge. So does that mean in 6 months chicago is fair play for y'all?? nice and light:)

this is an ACD. Aquital Contemplating Dismissal. usualy only involves the county you were charged in. But nonetheless an excellent turnout for such an urban jump. we've been blessed with these around here. I was told that were I to get caught within the 6 months we would be charged with whatever we were newly busted on plus the charge that earned the ACD with no leinency or deals on either. best to wait 181 days and then go straight back to the place of arrest for a little revenge....;) or do what we did, leave the courtroom, change out of the suit, and flick the object you were busted on. lucky bastards we are.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson