katzurki

Dealing with Ingrained Sand

Right now my canopy has some pretty picturesque patterns of fine sand from a landing out (not salty or anything -- the canopy just fell into a big, very muddy puddle). I tried to kite it out on landing, but only managed to drag it through the puddle, making matters even worse:(
A pretty big chunk of the canopy has been affected, about 30% of the entire top skin, some bottom skin. Which is less damaging in the long run: shake out and leave the ingrained sand there, scrape it off with a towel and a modicum of pressure, or completely wash the canopy?

I would go to a nearby river or lake and completely submerge the canopy for a little while (5 min) spinning and moving it around a little like it were in a washing machine soak cycle. if you do not have fresh water the shower or a hose works fine too.

Then dry it out... I usually opt for direct sunlight because that works faster .if you are concerned about UV just hang it up in the shade and let it dry out. after that it is as good as new.

fresh water is not a bad thing for parachute fabric. really, it isn't. saltwater is no good, gasoline, oil and soda pop should be avoided as well, but even a salt water landing is no bigee if you just rinse it out.

What about blood? I actually bought one of my canopy's with a couple of blood stains on it. Oh yeah, he was a newbie and he got hurt at BD... Don't figure.

What about blood?

Poynter Volume 1, section 9.3.1.8.18:

Blood appears as red or brown circles and is usually easy to identify.
Use clear cold water to wash it off. Warm water will coagulate the blood and make it difficult to remove. Use "eigester" if necessary, it may be available from a dry cleaning establishment. It is permissible to try the new enzyme active laundry pre-soaks.

Michael

This shit is awesome. This is what this forum is all about. Thank you. This is very valuable information to me.

Dave, did you get blood on your gear? Sure hope it is someone else's...
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM