markbaur

Homeowners Insurance for Riggers

I'm looking for insurance for my home-based rigging business. I'd like coverage for:

-- Fire/theft/etc. for my sewing machines and supplies
-- Fire/theft/etc. for the rigs I'm working on
-- Premises liability for customers and visitors ("slip-and-fall").

I'd accept partial coverage for any one or all of the above.

I'd settle for a homeowner's policy that allowed the business to continue, but just excluded business claims.

If your insurance company knows you are doing business as a parachute rigger at home, and thinks that's okay, could you tell me how to get in touch with them? PM is fine.

Mark

Hi Mark,
Most homeowners insurance policies have an endorsement built in called incidental business. If its
not your primary source of income it will normally
cover you for any peril that is covered on your homeowners ins. Might be fifferent from State to State but if not it can be added as a rider at a
relativley low cost.

Thanks for the reply.

The incidental business insurance available for homeowners requires coverage for "completed operations" as well as for loss and premises liability. I haven't found a carrier willing to insure for just loss and premises liability.

The problem lies with "completed operations." For the insurance companies, this means I have to deliver a parachute that is definitely going to work, that there will never be a claim (or at least, there will never be a substantial claim) based on a parachute's failure to work. Incidental business coverage contemplates nuisance claims, not the major claims of a parachuting injury.

If you know of a company that would knowingly offer incidental business coverage for parachute rigging in any of the 50 states, please let me know. Ask your insurance agent what he or she thinks (if you can do that without putting your homeowner's policy in jeopardy). I think you'll be dismayed.

Mark