hollyhjb

Base jumping the WB

I doubt that any one in this forum regularly watches Gilmore Girls, but tonight’s episode was rife with talk about base jumping.

One of the supporting characters (Logan) is part of the “Life and Death Brigade” and decided to go base jumping with a couple of friends (none of who have any experience).

There was no jump actually shown, but the story is that Logan pulls super low with a couple of cliff strikes (and admits to being drunk before the jump). He ends up in the hospital with a partially collapsed lung, broken ribs, internal bleeding, a broken ankle, lots of contusions, and a concussion.

I found it interesting that someone in hollywood finally had the balls to show that base jumping isn’t a glorified stunt and that people sometimes get seriously hurt doing it.

My favorite quote was Logan saying, “I guess base jumping without very much preparation isn’t such a good idea.”
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

wow the Hollywood realism is just scary. A guy pounds down a couple six-packs with his buds. They decide to all go out a make a BASE jump with no experience. One the first jump he just goes was PHaaaaaaaat a delay. Has a 180 and eats some Rock and gets all busted up. I don't know. Sounds like a typical Hollywood glorified Stunt to me.
It does sounds pretty weird & off the wall that a BASE jump & accident was just written randomly into the Script like that.
It kind of funny maybe more soap opera like talent will be Killed-Off in television series from BASE accidents. When the ratings get low or there contracts are up for renewal.

I saw it and I thought it was anticlimactic, do to the fact that they didn't show the actual BASE jump. And beside's
what are the chances, one actually gets hurt on there first
jump, while their drunk. I think they are just trying to send
a message to kids that drunken recklessness only leads
to only leads to, trips to the Hospital.

LETS HAVE SOME FUN!!!!!

I did not see the show but from the summary it sounds like the subject was handled in the same manner as an "After School Special" or "Reefer Madness".
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

It is a fact that people usualy get less hurt if they have a skiing accident while drunk because they are much more relaxed and can absorb hits much better. So I agree with felonie19. I think everone should be drunk on the FJC, I'm sure the PLF's will look much better this way.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

chances of getting hurt on your first base jump while drunk probably aren't ask good as getting Dead on your first base jump while Drunk:S