kirrz

What are the stereotypes/ connotations of a base jumper?

"anyone could strap a parachute to their back and do that (BASE)... as long as they're stupid enough"

do I smell another nugget?

I deffinately smell something:S
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

My experience has been that if you depict the sport to your friends and relative in a positive, calculated way and that you keep the technical mumbo jumbo out of it, most people will really respect what I do.

Heck people at work just ask me on Mondays: " Hey Chris did you go jumping this weekend?"
and I Just reply: " yeah I went jumping, was lots of fun... what did you do this weekend?"

Most people are quite ok with it because I depict it as a sport and not a wacko activity.
Of course I get the occasional "You are crazy man!" But since most people know me as a reserved, shy, calculated, professional type of guy, they figure it can't be that crazy if I partake in it.

that was me. Sorry. Pardon me!
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

You all have convinced me... I'm going to convince everyone it's only for the athlete with an extreme death wish. At least, hopefull it'll slow the rate of entry of more people wanting to come to the local objects.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I made the mistake of showing some family members Continuum 2 on Thanksgiving...

A couple of them were really interested, and the rest spent the entire time arguing with me that "anyone could strap a parachute to their back and do that (BASE)... as long as they're stupid enough", and "you don't have any control over where you go when you're falling". When I asked them how they thought the jumpers were getting away from the objects in freefall, they said "the wind blows them away".

They even went as far as to pretty much call me a moron for skydiving.

:S
Sorry to hear family sucked about it but not suprised. I usually try to treat my jumping like I treat my spirituality. I'm not hear to make a sales pitch so I don't talk about it with people who aren't actually interested instead of just argumentative.
They don't have to want to do it, but they have to have an open mind about it. To me it's sacred and I wouldn't share that with a moron just because there's blood between us.

You say, what's that sound coming out of the hole in the wood?

I made the mistake of showing some family members Continuum 2 on Thanksgiving...

A couple of them were really interested, and the rest spent the entire time arguing with me that "anyone could strap a parachute to their back and do that (BASE)... as long as they're stupid enough", and "you don't have any control over where you go when you're falling". When I asked them how they thought the jumpers were getting away from the objects in freefall, they said "the wind blows them away".

They even went as far as to pretty much call me a moron for skydiving.

:S

Wow that sux. I've got it good though. My parents are fine with my skydiving (my dad jumps too), they are also ok with my BASE jumping (my dad has two at BD and might get into it) and my GF is ok with it too and actually wants to come watch some time. Rest of the family only knows about skydiving :D

:P

Coco

As far as I am concerned, they are people with an extreme LIFE-WISH.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG