base428

NPS's Failure to Respond to Permit Requests

So it's been four months since my Special Use Permit request and $50 check went out to a specific National Park and I've heard nothing. Several phone calls and emails have not been answered.

If I remember correctly, by law I must receive a response within a certain time period. I might be wrong on this though. Anyone have further info on the requirement for the NPS to respond?
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

This is the permit request to be able to jump other than just on BD correct?? Since they took that clause out of the management policy stating BASE was illegal?

So it's been four months since my Special Use Permit request and $50 check went out to a specific National Park and I've heard nothing. Several phone calls and emails have not been answered.

If I remember correctly, by law I must receive a response within a certain time period. I might be wrong on this though. Anyone have further info on the requirement for the NPS to respond?

for what its worth,

when I was getting my US Citizenship, I had to appeal INS/BCIS denial. By law they had to respond within x amount of time, which they have not (obviously). I then contacted an attorney, who wrote a letter to the regional director of BCIS ( what INS became after 9/11) stating that his next course of action is a lawsuit. 30 days later I got an approval letter.

I am sure it's not that "smooth" with NPS, but perhaps if an attorney would be handling it, it could be "expedited" ...

Check has not cleared.
It's not for Bridge Day, but rather a big wall out West.
They confirmed receipt of the permit request in writing, but have simply failed to respond.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Check has not cleared.
It's not for Bridge Day, but rather a big wall out West.

Ahhhh nice nice!! B|

This doesn't answer your question, except by ommission. It's old (2000), but I couldn't find a superseding order. Given the content, I'm not sure there is a deadline:

http://www.nps.gov/policy/DOrders/DOrder53.html

I haven't had a chance to look elsewhere.

Also, having nothing to do with your question at all, I found a provision very similar to the requirement imposed on the BD permit for payment by the permit holder for NPS personnel services.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Might they be operating in some further bureaucratic loophole that says the permit request isn't truly official until the check has cleared?

-C.

I've got some free time and a check to burn, can you send me the information on where to send a permit request, and possibly an idea of the wording I should use for my request.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I've got some free time and a check to burn, can you send me the information on where to send a permit request, and possibly an idea of the wording I should use for my request.
~J

Permits generally:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/permits.htm

Special Use Permit:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/sup.pdf

Looks like it falls under "Special Events." Or you could start a church and call it a religious rite, in which case it becomes a "First Amendment Activity."

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Or you could start a church and call it a religious rite, in which case it becomes a "First Amendment Activity."

Wouldn't a protest of NPS policy also qualify as a "First Amendment Activity"? I can think of few things more directly covered by the intent of the First Amendment than a peaceful protest of government policy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Or you could start a church and call it a religious rite, in which case it becomes a "First Amendment Activity."

Wouldn't a protest of NPS policy also qualify as a "First Amendment Activity"? I can think of few things more directly covered by the intent of the First Amendment than a peaceful protest of government policy.

I 'spect they're not going to issue a permit for either one. :|

rl

Just curious on how many of our brethren have applied for one of these permits? I wonder if we inundated the NPS say within a certain period of time also forwarding these permits to certain congressman would force them to at least deny them as apposed to just ignoring them. Also I know many of you are in the legal profession if you could fill out the permit and post it so that we may word it in a way that would make it more difficult for them to deny it. Just curious I am sure there are many that would be willing to risk the fifty bucks.