mostwanted

buy base-canopy to be my main-skydiving-canopy?

I started BASE jumping with a clapped out Cruiselite when you wanted a canopy with a few hundred jumps on it to soften up the slider down stuff. Finding a Peggy, Raven, or Unit with three hundred jumps for 300 bucks was the Jenny in the Barn to early BASE jumpers.

look at that lingo! you're just trying to mess with Faber, aren't you?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

So I sent a PM to Moastwanted, but then thought about it and figured I should post it here just incase I said something stupid:

Here is what I did:

I bought a Raven 2 that's 218 square feet (it had about 7 jumps on it when I got it and was used as a reserve up to that point) I put about 75 jumps on it, and then got a Spectre 170 (also a 7 cell).

The key is to fly 7 cell (why? Because the flight characteristics of a 9 cell are way different), and practice the Canopy Control Drills! You can find those listed on several sites such as BR, possibly Apex, Vertigo, Australian BASE Association, etc...

Have fun skydiving, but as soon as you break off from the group, switch to BASE mode. I still do this on every skydive:

1.) Practice the most effective track possible (there are relaxed tracks which are more stable but less effective and tight tracks that are more effective but possibly less stable. You have to find the sweet spot)
2.) Pull from the track (roll the nose on your pack job if you know you will be doing this)
3.) As or before you are pulling pick you'r heading on the horizon
4.) Try your hardest to correct for that heading while the deployment/inflation is happening
5.) Once you have corrected for your heading simulate a 180 (i.e., double rear riser and snap one up)
6.) Now simulate a 90 right correction and 90 left correction (you have now killed 2 birds with one stone, you practiced some important shit, and you did your canopy control check)
7.) depending on your altitude practice various inputs toggle, front and rear riser, combinations of the above (knowing how your canopy responds to every kind of input WILL SAVE YOUR ASS one day when shit don't go right on a BASE jump)
8.) Set up for your landing without looking at the altimeter, and if your DZ let's you every now and then drop a Frisbee from under canopy, and make that you target, or have some one toss it into the landing area when you are about 800 feet off the ground, so you have to set up for it (you are simulating going for the "Out" landing by doing this
9.) Approach your landing with breaked turns, and learn to fly your final in deep breaks (caution: learn the limits of your canopy before doing this close to the ground, you don't want to stall yourself in, or get a surge that you don't have time to level out of in time for a safe landing
10.) Find the CRW jumpers and BASE jumpers, and never stop asking questions. Once you are competent, do CRW lots of it! It has been the best teacher for figuring out how to maneuver, and use the combination of inputs under canopy
11.) Go do ground crew for BASE jumps, you will learn a lot by watching, and it will show your future BASE crew that you are committed, and not just a yahoo looking for the next rush. Ask questions, always, always, ask questions. The only stupid question one is the one you don't ask!

So if any of that is bad, just say so... I have always been a beginer and always will be!

Tommy D

I bought a Raven 2 that's 218 square feet (it had about 7 jumps on it when I got it and was used as a reserve up to that point) I put about 75 jumps on it, and then got a Spectre 170 (also a 7 cell).

hey tommy (and all the others),

thank you again for your helpful posting - one question to the raven-spectre-switch: what was wrong with the raven? is it true, that the raven is so old-school, that you better not use one as a main-canopy (reserve?) any more? was the spectre new or used?

looking forward to your reply.

thanx!

mostwanted

Nothing at all wrong with the Raven, it's fine to use as a main. I just wanted a sportier canopy, but still 7 cell.

I bought the Spectre used with about 150 jumps on it.

I still have the raven, and I am considering putting it into my currently unused Velcro BASE container for a water rig. Again absolutely nothing wrong with a Raven... The only complaint I had with it was it didn't flare all that well, but that could be a function of the break setting, or the fact that I was a beginner and just didn't time the flare correctly. Probably the latter.

Tommy

an which of both is more similar to a base canopy? ("sportier"=?) this would be the main-requirement, wouldn't it?

PS: are both canopies ZP?

hi nick,

thanx also for your helpful reply!

as i am not speaking english that well, i wonder if the following line you posted some days ago says that it was good to fly an old 7-cell (e.g. used raven) (on skydiving) to train for base or that it was no good idea to do so.

can anybody help to avoid that i misunderstand this. thanx.

With a big docile seven cell if the trim is off you just learn to lean a little more in one direction and that's the end of that . . .

flying which 7-cell (as a main-canopy for skydiving) would be most-similar to flying a base-canopy? (for training)

Before my first jump course, I was told that a SuperRaven (and the 'super' part was important) would fly very close to the way a FOX flies (FOX is a common BASE canopy).

I picked up a used SuperRaven III on eBay for US$150.

Lou

hey lou,

thanx for your post!

...and what do you think now (as a base-jumper) about the SuperRaven? Is it really that close to a Fox or are there better options? How many skydiving-jumps did it have when you got it? Would you do it again?

mostwanted

and what do you think now (as a base-jumper) about the SuperRaven? Is it really that close to a Fox or are there better options?

Yes, it flies like a FOX. I haven't flown any other F-111 skydiving 7-cells, so I'm not sure if there's any better options in this regard. I suspect it's as close as you can get, since quite a few people use SuperRavens for BASE. In fact, I'm going to convert this one for BASE for water jumps and the like.

How many skydiving-jumps did it have when you got it?

I have no idea. But for US$150, how could I go wrong?

Would you do it again?

Of course. It was the best thing I could do to prepare myself for flying in the BASE environment. The only other thing I wish I had done was practice with the line-release mod, because that was the only part that "felt funny" when flying the canopy after my first BASE jump. Having the steering lines free and not going through guide rings was pretty a foreign feeling to my skydiving arms.

Lou

hey lou,

again very helpful. thanx.

two more question to the Raven:

1. was this your first and at that time only skydiving-rig?

2. i contacted a local base-jumper (rigger, i think aff-instructor, former base-mentor/-insturctor, base-gear-dealer) and he warned me that it COULD maybe be 2 disappointing years if i really focus on a base-canopy or raven 100% at skydiving (=practicing for base) in the next 2 years: a big, heavy and not very freefly-friendly container with such a docile canopy could bore me over the years...

...i unfortunatelly can only afford one rig at the moment...

...another "problem" he mentioned was, that i could maybe not go skydiving on (more) windy days, because of the bad gliding-performance of such a docile canopy. i could maybe "often" not reach the DZ anymore...

he suggested some canopy like the PD spctre - it should be more sporty he said - but would this be wise, if i wanted to train for base?

(oh my god, my english is so bad - sorry!)

i am looking forward to any comments. thanx.

m.w.

PS: i hope the local base-jumper i contacted is not offended if he reads this postings - i appreciate his help very much! but on the other hand side i would like to hear more than only one opinion to that question...

was this your first and at that time only skydiving-rig?

No. I normally jump a Sabre2 170 (9-cell, ZP, semi-taper'd) in a TalonFS. Faster canopy with very different flight characteristics. I bought the SuperRaven by itself and then put it in a borrowed student container at the small DZ where I jump.

he suggested some canopy like the PD spctre

The Spectre would be a fun canopy to fly, but it won't perform like a BASE canopy would.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick one of those up and use while you're skydiving. You're going to be skydiving for a couple years. When you're ready to pick a date for your BASE first jump class, grab a SuperRaven or a used BASE canopy and do another 30 to 50 jumps on it focusing on BASE canopy skills.

Please keep in mind, I did my first BASE jump only a little over a year ago and I'm by no means an expert.

I'm just reporting based on my experience preparing for the sport.

Lou

Agreed that the Spectre does not perform like a BASE canopy, but it's still 7-cell, I can practice BASE emergency procedures, and it is relatively forgiving with regards to flying beaked approaches. It's funny a bunch of people at my DZ are always asking why I am not swooping in, or approaching in full flight... I just smile!

Agreed that the Spectre does not perform like a BASE canopy, but it's still 7-cell, I can practice BASE emergency procedures, and it is relatively forgiving with regards to flying beaked approaches.

hmm, now i am a little bit confused...

what's different to a base-canopy?

what is not different to a base-canopy?

what do you mean with "emergency procedures"?

is "practicing emergency procedures" the most important skill to learn before base-jumping?