BASE841

The Other Victims of Katrina

Not to minimize the suffering here, but while on a flyover mission in Plaquemines Parish, I spotted this.

Not to worry, there are at least a half dozen jumpable ones still standing (while passing them, I was checking their altitude with my Suunto watch and making mental notes.)

Of course, I didn't bring my rig since I didn't trust myself to avoid temptation once our rescue & recovery mission slows down. And since most of this area is still under mandatory evacuation and curfew, the bust factor is pretty high.

But all of us soldiers and airmen have been invited back to enjoy Cajun hospitality when things calm down. And I'm definitely bringing my Flik/Gargoyle!

Maybe once everything settles down they'll need some volunteers to help put them back up ???

I know a few people that might be willing to work all night long to help with the restoration and subsequently to do periodic "safety" checks :P

what were you doing there? I loaded med evac blackhawks on the interstate for 3 days, might have seen you if you were air crew.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Not were, am. I'm still in Plaquemines Parish, activated Army National Guard public affairs (photography and journalism) plus hauling hay, filling sand bags and whatever else needs to be done.

Flew a Blackhawk and Chinook, both from Michigan Army Guard, no medevac yet.

Attached is a photo of the CH-47 trying to recover a cattle barge stuck on a pier in Venice, LA after Katrina but before Rita.