JaapSuter

Canopy, Rig, Water and some Sand

Mister Dry Faster Than You Heal didn't want to decapitate the excited four-year old that came running towards him on the beach, so instead he decided to demonstrate his poor canopy skills by landing eight feet away from the shore in the water.

Little did he know that lake contained the muddiest and sandiest water on the face of this planet.

So now I'm stuck with a rig that is not only wet, but also has shitloads of fine-grained salt in it. This salt is totally fucking with my canopy putting it much closer to its death.

I have a bathtub, a showerhead, two people and a sunny roofdeck where I can shake out and dry a canopy. Does anybody have any suggestions for best dealing with this?

I just spend some time in the shower trying to get the sand out but there's not a lot of room so it's not working very well. I got most of it out. My current plan is to let it dry, then shake it out completely, then fully rinse it out one more time, and let it dry and jump the crap out it.

Better suggestions?

I have a bathtub, a showerhead, two people and a sunny roofdeck where I can shake out and dry a canopy. Does anybody have any suggestions for best dealing with this?

I just realized that this quote in isolation can be interpreted differently than intended. Feel free to hijack this thread to make me laugh!

Advice is still welcome.

Cheers,

Jaap

Canopy: Rinse it off in cool clean water. It may take a few rinses. Don't wring it out or anything, just hang it some where and let a fan blow on it. If it's windy then kite it.

Don't use the sunshine to dry the canopy.

To wash the rig: Toss it on the washer in cold and some detergent. Preferably something like cheer. Then hang it to dry with a fan blowing on it.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I posted a detailed reply on how to handle salt water landing and salt a few months ago.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

put it in the tub with cold fesh water....soak for several hours then drain and replace...soak for several hours then drain and replace....do this until your paranoia stops then dry it in the shade/wind or better still at night...kiting is a good idea...dont forget everything else that got wet will need the same treatment....

depending on how wet they got and how long they were dry and flexing you may want to think aabout replacing your risers for peace of mind

IMHO
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

All you need is a goat, a bottle of Vodka, a Viking helmet and some swim fins and you gotta hell of a Saturday Night if ya were in TEXAS!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If it's salt based, put it in a clean trash can, with a water hose irrigating it. Periodically taste the lines and canopy for salt. Once it's clean, very,very,very carefully handle your canopy while it's wet. Do not hang it in the sun. The UV will destroy your canopy. While it's wet, you can greatly damage your canopy while pulling on it. Hang it from the tail in dry dark room, possibly with air conditioning, since air conditioning is a great dehumidifier.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174