nbblood

Slinks Maintenance

I've checked out the other threads on Slinks and the PD website. I have slinks on my main and reserve and I like them. I have heard some people say that a disadvantage to Slinks is that they require more maintenance than rapid links. The only thing I found was from the Slinks instructions on the PD page, which said:

The first 15-20 deployments will cause the Slink to take a more permanent "set". It is important to ensure that the tab is located between the risers during this period so as to ensure this set occurs with the tab in the proper position. Once this has occurred, the Slink will have a tendency to remain in this position.
If this procedure is not followed, the tab may rotate out of position. Allowing the tab to remain outside of the risers during deployment and flight will result in excessive wear of the Slink, potentially leading to a structural failure.

I understand all that, and I understand routine maintenance ought to include inspecting the Slinks for wear and inspecting slider grommets for wear, looking for conditions that may cause excessive wear, etc. However, I don't see how this is significantly different from routine maintenance on rapid links., i.e., ensuring barrel is closed, checking same conditions as above.

That all said, am I missing something? Doesn't seem to me that there is any significant difference in maintenance between rapid links and Slinks. Am I missing a step or do people put rapid links on and think they never have to worry about them again?

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Slinks only require periodic inspection.

Rapide links require checking the match mark to ensure it has loosened and if no match mark/torque stripe, then checking with a wrench to ensure it hasn't come loose. Rapide links also require slider bumpers, which wear out, requiring replacement. Replacing bumpers require removing the Rapide links, installing the bumpers, lock titing the Rapide links, wiping off the excess, tightening the links with a wrench, and adding the match mark/torque stripe. Then doing a line continuity check.

Give me Slinks any day.

Derek

Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought, now I really don't understand how anybody can say that slinks require more maintenance than rapid links. Anyway, thanks.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

what? Dude, look at the whole picture. The crap about putting nailpolish on the barrels, adding lock tight, and wiping it off, putting on bumpers and checking everytime and bla bla bla. You don't need any polish or markers or locktight on the barrels, that's all personal preference. Slinks WILL wear out, rapid links generally won't...as long as they aren't over torgued. Both are good, but it's a personal decision about what is best for you.
my pics & stuff!

Yeah, I realize that, and that's mostly installation stuff too. I just heard quite a few people say that slinks require "more maintenance" than rapid links. Seems to be about an even race one way or the other. I'm not knocking rapid links and I'm not saying they require more or less maintenance, I'm just saying I don't think saying a disadvantage to slinks is that they require more maintenance is really valid. Anyway, I hear you.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

The crap about putting nailpolish on the barrels, adding lock tight, and wiping it off, putting on bumpers and checking everytime and bla bla bla. You don't need any polish or markers or locktight on the barrels, that's all personal preference.

Brushing your teeth is all personal preference too.

Lock-tite, torque stripe, replacing bumpers, and carefully tightening them is part of maintaining Rapide links properly. It is not "crap".

I have seen too many broken Rapide links.

Derek