ZegeunerLeben

John's Back

>>On a BASE jump on October 31st, 2004 John impacted a concrete roof just as his canopy hit line stretch (Those last 10 days of Oct. really sucked). He smashed every bone in his feet, broke both ankles, shattered every L & T verterbrae, had 4 blown discs, had two titanium rods fused into his spine, a fractured hip, and had seven feet of crushed intestines removed. He has some partial paralysis. He almost died on the operating table, almost died from renal failure in post-op, had another surgery. Alomst died again from a blood infection. When he woke up the first thing he heard was the doctors arguing whether he'd a para or a quad. They told him he'd never walk again.

>>Today, 7 months and twelve hours since the accident, not only is he walking, he made his 58th BASE jump from a local A. I remember seeing him in the hospital when he was on the resperator, flying out to visit him when he learned to transfer into the wheelchair, taking him to pool after work to help him learn to walk again, watching him stand on his own and use the crutches, and when he took his first steps unassisted. Now the full cycle of recovery is complete...I have to say it's one of the more remarkable things I've seen in my life. The BASE fire burns hot in his belly. It's what he lived for, died for, and came back to life for.

Way to heal up quickly!

Nothing is harder than coming back from an injury.
Nice job.

Cya.

Thats some quick recovery!

Nice one...........

Just be careful.................. no point in making a handful of jumps not fully recovered only to put yourself out for longer than needed...............

Soft landings............

>>Thanks guys, I've been urging temperence on his part, and I've seen him walk away when everything's perfect so he's listening to that inner voice. I know it sounds like something really horrible, and yes it wasn't exactly superhappyfuntime, but a remarkable number of really positive things have come out of it. Sometimes the truly devastating events in our lives serve to teach something important we really needed to learn. Big thanks to those who offered their support during a difficult time (you know who you are).

Wow......The body is a truly amazing thing, only thing more amazing is the mind. Congradulations on #58! welcome back. :)~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"