TomAiello

Prodigy Wingsuit

Check it out here.

This looks like it might be the ideal suit for lowish stuff, where you need to be on the opening immediately. I realize that it's billed as a beginner suit, and it probably will be great for that, but I bet it finds it's own on some really wicked, nasty BASE sites.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Ever since finding out the beginner suit was going to be two pieces, my rigger and I have been talking about modifying a set of Phoenix jacket and pants and turn it into this.

I don't want to downplay the amount of time and effort that Phoenix puts into their suits (in fact, I am hoping that Robert Pecnik will join us and explain the differences) but I would not be surprised at all if the manufacturing basis for the two setups (wingsuit vs pants) is quite similar.
I can't wait till my rigger has some time so we can sew some small (!) pieces of extra fabric onto my pants and jacket. It won't be Phoenix quality, but it'll be fun to experiment with, in skydives.

Cheers,

Jaap

might be the ideal suit for lowish stuff, where you need to be on the opening immediately.

Do you mean low openings? What other reason would you have to be on the opening immediately on a wingsuit jump? Of course if you're close to the object you'd have to be quick too, but one advantage of a wingsuit is that you can get away from it easier.

I bet it finds it's own on some really wicked, nasty BASE sites.

The only thing I can think of is that it'll allow for flying (and opening) closer to an object. Consequently, people might use it to fly parallel to cliffs faces, or take it through guy-wires.

Is that what you are thinking about too? Or are you implying this suit is suitable for lower objects? If so, why?

Cheers,

Jaap

I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!!!

let me know how it goes!

I think even with a single, non inflatable, piece of material, it would do great up to a point.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I think that thing looks like it would work well. I wonder how it would compair with the pressurised tracking suit... I remember what you said Tom about buckets...ie "skill set"... Its your skill level that will get you away from the object. I have been watching endless video of big wall stuff lately and really can see if you dont have the skill set you are not going to be around for a long time. I see that even in a wing suit, if you dont rock forward and end up head high, you will move back at a increased rate to the object. The more i see and watch, the more i see who increadibly technicnal this sport is and how much it requires a heightend sense of awareness. My hats off to all of you.......B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

The only thing I can think of is that it'll allow for flying (and opening) closer to an object.

That's what I meant. Look at some of the big wall stuff being done with tracking pants, especially in Norway. You've got guys tracking down long talus slopes at angles approximately the same as the talus, then dumping at very low altitudes. This seems ideal for that kind of application.

Plus, since the surface area is bigger than the tracking pants/suits, it ought to start moving sooner, allowing those kind of jumps to be done with less vertical at the launch point.

Also, since it's designed around a "don't need to cut it away" principle, there's no reason not to use this suit for very subterminal stuff. I'm betting we see people getting noticeable forward movement with this thing, even on objects like 600' cliffs. That means we're likely to see, at some point, folks doing jumps where they out-track obstacles, even though the whole jump is subterminal (which is the kind of thing I had in mind when I said that bit above).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

watching the first flights with the prototype prodigy suit, and to let the range of speculations open, you will be surprised how ´close´you can open to an objekt. maybe the objekt on the other side of the valley ;)
hannes

I can't wait till my rigger has some time so we can sew some small (!) pieces of extra fabric onto my pants and jacket.

Hey Jaap,

>explain the differences

Although there are obvious visual similarities between the P&J / Prodigy there are in-fact a lot of differences in the construction:

The sleeve and shoulder structure of the jacket is completely different to take the increased load

A spandex back panel has been incorporated to improve comfort and range of movement

The pants have been overhauled to incorporate the legwing and huge back deflector.

The waist has been reinforced to support the armwing anchor point

etc... you get the idea

Check out the piccy attached.

(Just don't ruin your P&J!! :P)

Long flights

J
BASEstore.it