SkyDaemon

In Memory of Josh Whipple

Valhalla became stronger as another beautiful person leaves us behind. Josh was certainly one of the "good ones" in my corner of the world, and I feel fortunate that I shared some good times with him over the years.

While I hadn't seen him in too many months, last week I was thinking of him as I camped out beneath an E that we'd done together previously. On that object, one week Josh had gone out to jump it solo - a bold move, I thought. Not only that, he'd exited a bit too strong and ended up spinning off a full front flip a a result! Calmly (according to him, anyway B| ), he allowed the rotation to continue through, opened on-heading, landed fine, and smiled about it. How many people would have shared that story with a "more senior" jumper and risked being judged or ridiculed? Josh simply though it was a great story and his smile as he told it sticks with me to this day.

I had planned to call him last week, but left his number at home and figured "what's the rush, I'll call next week or sometime later." Life intervenes, and now I'll never have the privilege of sharing a beer with him. That is my loss, all of our loss.

I certainly wasn't Josh's "best friend" or anything, but to me that's just not the point. The point for me is that Josh was a bright light that was out there living life. It's sad and tragic that he made the choice he did. . . that's a choice I've been nearby too much in my life already, even before Josh's decision. Why do the good ones follow that path, there's no justice in that no matter how you cut it.

Fly free, Josh. You made the world a better place by your presence here. My four-legged family and I will say a word of goodbye for you this evening, and we'll wish you Godspeed as you continue your journey wherever it may lead you.

Peace,

D-d0g & Four-Legged Friends
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

:(

I'm devastated.

Knowing what Josh did--and did not--believe, I can bring myself to say only this: that as long as any of us who knew him lives, he lives.

He made me think, he made me laugh. I will never forget him.

Edited to add:

He once wrote to me, quoting his father at the funeral of a good friend: "This is a hell of a way to get people to say nice things about you."

I'm just grateful that all the things I can say about him in the here and now are the things that I said to him at one time or another.

He was always on my side. Even when we disagreed--which wasn't all that often over the eight or so years I knew him--he was on my side. He was a loyal and loving friend, with a quick wit, a stunning sense of irony and fine, rational mind. And I am so terribly sorry that his light has been extinguished from this world.

Love you, Josh.

rl

I am at a loss for words.

I had only met Josh recently, when we hiked up (and walked down from) a cliff with DexterBASE and Kmonster. I had looked forward to getting to know him better.

Now I never will. :(
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

:( I am very sorry to hear about this. I met Josh and some other members of the seattle crew when they were kind enough to take me to one of their local antennas that I promptly became hung up on. Josh and the other locals made sure that I was ok and josh waited around to talk to the authorities and help them get me down. He was a great guy and I remember laughing and watching videos with him when I was there. sad news....:(

Sorry to post in the BASE forum since I only jump from planes, but out of everything everone has written, this is the post that says what I've been thinking.

I had looked forward to getting to know him better.

Now I never will. :(

2 or 3 jumps. One is my first on-video sitflying attempt, and he lent me one of his distinctive long-sleeve shirts for drag.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

This is the one year anniversary since we lost Josh...

I still miss him...

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

This is the one year anniversary since we lost Josh...

Brother, if the winds have mercy on us, let's get him his B tonight! Give me a call...

Jaap,
You're one of the good ones. :-)

I'm off to Arizona (where Josh was heading prior to leaving us) for some much needed mind clearing in the desert.

Let's do it next week. I have a new rig that will be perfect for it too.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

My best wishes to three of you. You two are great people.

Drink a scotch tonight.

-=Raistlin