leroydb

jumping 3 legged cell towers

who has experiance jumping them? There are a couple I am looking at that are 250-300ft and would like input. One thing that I don't like is that they are not straight up and down, they start out wide then get really skinny at top. Of course these are outside climbs.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

There used to be many of these scattered around the Southwestern desert of the USA, most where early type cell towers and many of them have since been dismantled.

One that I was familiar with, was as you describe, except it had an inside ladder and a short overhanging platform on top. If you did a rock drop from the overhang it would still hit the tower.

Wind, was the answer here. It was one of the few low objects where no wind conditions were frowned upon. You wanted 10 mph or better and you got off on the downwind side. Both squares and rounds were used on this tower.

One advantage I saw, from the tower's configuration (not being straight) was a jumper who had a 180 and flew right back into the tower. Because he was so close to the structure he had no time to gather any forward speed and he just floated into it very softly and grabbed on. He came away with a scratch . . .

BTW, if your tower happens to be microwaving (large round dishes) stay as far away from them as you can while playing.

NickD :)BASE 194

thanks, anyone else with more info?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

you got a pic? please pm or mail it,thanks

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

i will try to get a few this weekend.

Contrary to popular belief, I am having alot of fun and am being safe.

add: I wont post them here... I will PM or email them if you ask for them
Leroy

Do you mean like this? :)
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Leroy
I was in the biz of building "Self Support" towers for years but as yet have not jumped one. If there is any tower specific questions you have Im sure I can answer them or send you in the right direction.
Let me know if I can be of any help.
A

pretty close, that one does not seem to get signifigantly skinny as the ones I am looking at. They look like they get smaller, then they go straight up
Leroy

how much to erect one that is 250, 300, 350?
Leroy