base428

Most BASE Jumps in 24 Hours

+17 at TF sounds funny too. Is using a packer considered cheating?

Well, there are no formal rules that I know of, but I lack Sam's rules: Climb out and pack every jump for yourself. The 17 was packing all of them, with 2 rigs, riding the boat.

How much time would one use from landing back up to exit?

Depends on how fit you are for the climb out, and how fast you pack (or how many rigs you have), I suppose.

And finally: are night jumps possible during the summer months?

Yes, as well as during the winter months. The moon helps, but the truth is that the road lights on top do an ok job of lighting the landing area, as long as you land far enough down to be out of the shadow of the bridge.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

And finally: are night jumps possible during the summer months?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, as well as during the winter months. The moon helps, but the truth is that the road lights on top do an ok job of lighting the landing area, as long as you land far enough down to be out of the shadow of the bridge.

Are night jumps approved by the authorities? I asked about it when I was there and the general consensus seemed to be it was not a good idea.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Are night jumps approved by the authorities? I asked about it when I was there and the general consensus seemed to be it was not a good idea.

There are no prohibitions/laws against night jumps. However, if you call the Sherrif's dispatch and ask if you can jump at night, they will most likely discourage you. If you put yourself in their shoes, it seems logical to discourage night jumps. To the non BASE jumper, it sounds crazy. It is more dangerous for the jumpers themselves and it is certainly more difficult should a rescue situation arise.

But night jumps are a very large part of BASE and like every other aspect of our sport, we analyze the risk (and hopefully accept it) before each and every jump we make.

So, if you are inclined the Perrine at night, I would suggest the following:

Be low key. Don't make your presence into a big production. When it comes time to actually climb over the rail and jump, try to do so when a car won't see you. (this is very easy to do at night) This would eliminate any potential suicide calls etc. at a time when our jumping should be low key.

My first take is to not call the sherrif and inform them you are jumping. I think we should keep it clean, not worry people unnecessarily, and stay low-key.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Bryan

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is the nearest major airport to TF?

As far as 'major' goes, I suppose that would be Salt Lake City. But I can highly recommend just flying straight into Twin Falls itself. It's only a 20 or 30 minute flight from Salt Lake.

Edited to add: and often you'll get it for the same price as just flying to Salt Lake City.

Cheers,

Jaap Suter

I believe Boise is about as close. It's also 75mph all the way down - so ~~ 90 min for the 120 mile drive.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I've called them for sunset loads before with no problems. I'd hate to not call, and then have an accident and have them want to know why we didn't call.

Perhaps call shortly before sunset, and just let them know that you're jumping, and will call back when you finish?

I've told them we were jumping all night, on a full moon, before, and when I explained that it was a full moon, they seemed to understand.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com