JOY

BASE and 2005 and 1000

Just to give best wishes to you all for 2005.

There are enough numbers pending to go well over 1000, so if you are racing, please stop!

I really want everyone to ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!!

Love to you and yours,

Joy & Rick

Although it would have been nice to have a sub 1000 number, it was something I was not racing for. Slow a steady will earn my BASE number when I am ready and that will be a great day. For me at least.

Nic

Happy New Year everybody. Nurse your hangovers and we will see you at the exit point soon!

It was the 17th issue of SKYDIVING published March 3rd, 1981 where Carl Boenish announced the BASE number award to the world. This is also when everyone started calling it BASE jumping.

Here are a few other stories SKYDIVING printed that issue . . .

-Details for The Riggers Convention. (This later became PIA).

-Skydivers Jump California Bridge; Royal Gorge Jumps Continue. (Mike Truffer took to publishing BASE articles from the very beginning. Someday we have to give him some kind of award).

-Canopy Soaring. (Remember running down a hill trying to get your Cruiselite flying, this is what started that).

-Upside Down Skydiving Made Easy. (The beginning of the end of RW).

-Gear Ad Stirs Controversy; (This was the ISADRN advert wasn't it)?

-Para-Gear Needs Photos; (Always a cool cover photo, and how long have they been doing that)?

-Pioneer Unveils 20 Foot Reserve. (This was the K-series I think. Didn't they need an apex fix later on)?

-Manufacturers Invited to Riggers Convention; (This really was, at one time, just a few riggers sitting around talking).

-Advanced Air Sports Now Owned Solely by Handbury. (Jim Handbury, a Master Rigger from Lake Elsinore built the first two Velcro closed BASE rigs for Carl and Jean Boenish. He later died testing a parachute system for airplanes after bailing out at a low altitude).

-M Anderson Jenkins Drowns. (This was the Godflicker. He was walking through the shallow waters of Lake Elsinore after a long spot. He fell in a deep hole wearing his camera helmet and his hands are full of s-folded canopy.)

- Para-Flite Grounds Some Safety Flyers (Five cells square reserves. These are reliable and would always save your life. You'd then spend the canopy ride praying there's some wind blowing).

- Colorado Gets Beech (and they mean a D-18 Twin Beech, not a KingAir).

- Boenish Announces BASE Award for Fixed Object Jumps (And here we are 24 years later). . .

NickD :)BASE 194