NickDG

Opps . . .

Since I wasn't checking anything in, a week prior I made a mental note to remove the hook knife from the BASE rig I intended to carry aboard the flight to Bridge Day. I figured I could purchase another knife at the BASE trade show.

When I opened my gear bag at Bridge Day there it was, still sitting on the chest strap. (And it was one of those big honking ones too.) It sailed right by the screener and the x-ray machine at San Diego Airport.

They did look in my boots, though . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Since 9/11, I've flown 12 times (including 4 international flights) with a hook knife in my carry on.

I think the TSA just has a long list of "can't have it" items, and somehow hook knife didn't make the list.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

On our last trip out to the potatoe bridge, Jalisco and I both forgot to remove them. Mine went through the screening without any questions, they re-scanned his and pulled out. The supervisor knew what he was looking at and stated that it was designed not to hurt anyone and put it right back and sent him on his way.

His is a nice one, mine is a cheapo that BR sent with my rig, the tip of mine could easily be knocked off to create a make shift boxcutter...

Ganja "Skies are no safer, just more trouble to get into" Rodriguez

His is a nice one, mine is a cheapo that BR sent with my rig, the tip of mine could easily be knocked off to create a make shift boxcutter...

I hope yours isn't too easy to break, in case you need it one day.
BTW, my nice one came with my rig, too (Asylum). Maybe you can trade yours in for an Apex model...:ph34r:

I have made three cross ocean flights all with my hook knife and with a cypres for two of them. They definitely have a list of no-no's and whatever else they may deem dangerous also what they want to have for themselves. I don't ever travel with anything intentionally dangerous but some of the stuff I guess could be Misconstrued as dangerous. You can however have it mailed through the airline to wherever you are going or just break it so they can't use it.

I'm sitting in Las Vegas Airport right now and just realized mines still tucked under the mudflap of my rig in the stash bagnext to me.

I work for one of the larger manufacturers of Hook knive and we think they get through ecurity so often because they donlook like a knife on x-ray. the blade showes up as a small black square, not a sharp object. If it's plastic the body barely shows, and even metal hook knives don't look like something dangerous.

Of course the really are not dangerous anyway.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

:o
Uhhhh, I think it might be a good idea to kill this thread.

Call me paranoid, but dz.com forums DO show up on public search engines. I don't want to give any ideas to the assholes in the m.east. Talk about losing even more of our skydiving rights. >:(

Sorry for sounding like a bitch here, but of all the forums, I'm surprised I have to state this in the base zone. [:/]

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

You're paranoid.

You'd do more mischief by strangling someone with your goggles.

When I was in the CIA we were taught to kill using our dentures.

Oh no, what if Osama reads this?

What a fool I've been...weakening the coutry's defenses...etc.

I use a machete instead of a hook knife so I doubt I pose a threat to the airlines. I certainly won't be much of a threat after the first time I use it.

Looking forward to that day...

B|
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

:o
Call me paranoid
Sorry for sounding like a bitch here, but of all the forums, I'm surprised I have to state this in the base zone. [:/]

ParanoidB|

RDX, assassinate, TNT, AN, Slurry, Pre-mix, federal building, Semtex, Composition B, PE-4, president Bush, APM...:o
Now that should appear on some gov. sniffer program;)

Well I guess you are a whole lot smarter than Nick on this. Thanks for the impute though. BTW I distictly remember the moderators name being Tom. Correct me if I am wrong though. I will continue to bring my hookknife with me.