skydave114

A M question

There's an array of 4 A M towers near me that I've SL'd a few times. They are about 50 years old. 3 of them appear to have no power except for the lights, and the 4th has a small steel dish about half way up. There's a building on site with an air condidioner that runs almost non-stop. There's another tower a mile away, owned by the same company, that is active, with LOTS of stuff attached to it.
So, my question is, does this sound safe to climb? I've never felt any ill effects or warming of metal parts on my rig.
Also, what purpose might these serve if not transmitting?

How did you get on it? Did you just grab the ladder and start climbing or did you jump onto it?

There's no ladder. These A's are only about 2 feet wide. I just grab on and monkey my way up the structure.

Then it's definately not active. Climb away.

Which Tower are you asking about? The inactive towers or the one with lots of stuff on it?

What kind of stuff is on the tower? Dishes are directional. You will be radiated to some degree so get by them quickly if you choose to climb it. If they have stingers, they radiate pretty heavily in all directions. The stingers will cause major interference to video cameras. If it's on your head, you can hear the motor speed up and slow down as well. If it does that to cameras, it's doing something, whatever that may be, to you.

I wouldn't dare climb the one with all the stuff on it. you can hear the electricity humming when you get close. Just wondering if the two sites might be connected somehow. And why would the building with the A/C be active, if the towers aren't?

The stingers will cause major interference to video cameras. If it's on your head, you can hear the motor speed up and slow down as well. If it does that to cameras, it's doing something, whatever that may be, to you.

who cares about us>:(;) what about the video[:/]:ph34r::D.. ive lost video on that account and i felt sick aswell up there,deafently not a tower to jump each night:S
Just a note this were on a FM tower,whith stuff on..:|B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

It sounds like the small dish my be the reason for the ac. If the towers are inactive there may be a lone tenant on there. Do a search on FCC's website.

The FCC's website should show any permits to build, add on or destroy this site. If you dig deep enough you can find the answers. Find out who the owner is and call them. Feed them some bs about wanting to purchase the land or something. You should be able to find out all you need. Act stupid when you call, especially if you're talking to an engineer. They love to chat and show you how smart they are. They'll no doubt give up the skinny.

BTW - You would have to experience some very high-power RF for a very long period at a very close distance for the metal parts on your rig to heat up. I think the warming effect is just the power of suggestion fuggin with most jumpers heads.
-Bryan

I love base like a fat kid loves cake