base428

Remembering Carl Boenish (June 7, 1984)

Carl died 20 years ago today.

Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity to meet him. Thanks to Carl, Jean, and everyone in that era who paved the way for us.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

peace brother...............

peace to the 812 brothers in front of me and peace and well wishes to the others that followed.................

rock on!

First time I ever heard of Carl Boenish I saw him on TV 20 years ago. If I remember correctly it was the Wide World of Sports. They were jumping in Norway shortly before he passed away. The TV episode made a huge impression on me as a young lad...very inspiring.

I wish I would have had the chance to meet him too. In the 2001 world cup in Malaysia I got to wear his old helmet during the whole event. For me, it was a privilege and an honor. I have Mark Hewitt to thank for that.

Jason, thanks for reminding us of what today is.
BASE brotherhood is good!!!
Spread the love. :)
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

Many thanks to Mr. Boenish for the paving the way for so many of us, and thanks to you, I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Thank you to Carl, and all the other BASE pioneers, who sometimes paid the price for advancing BASE to where it is today.

Peace, my brothers...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Gone but not forgotten.

Fly free Carl...

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

You never would forget his giggling.
He had a way of listening to anybody that was doing base jumps that made you feel like a pro. He was very interested in any experiences and anecdotes. (again, the giggling...)

jon

He actually passed away the day after the jump off The Troll Wall for the Wide World of Sports Special. The Chief Coordinator and Videographer for that jump was a Yosemite climbing legend named John Long. John has many books out, but he details the preparations, Carl and Jeans anxiety as well as his own, the practice jump and then the actual World Record(at that time) jump in his book "Gorilla Monsoon". If you want a freaky wicked, old school BASE story about Carl and Jeans last jump together and then Carls final jump, get it and hang on.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"