skydiver30960

How many jumps on a BASE canopy is OK?

Yeah, I know it's a pretty damn fuzzy question and that there are a million different factors that go into whether or not a canopy is "airworthy". But when we talk about skydiving mains, canopies with 500 jumps on them are the norm. When we talk about skydiving RESERVES, anything with more than a handful of jumps better have some good stories coming with it or it is going to be hard to sell used. SO... if I'm looking to buy a used BASE canopy, what kind of guidlines am I looking for? Obviously, overall care and condition are the primary concern... but certain questions include:

Does the type of deployment (slider up vs. slider down or no slider, for example) affect the overall "useful life" of a BASE canopy? Or do we feel they're built tough enough to take the slider-free beating in stride?

I figure water landings need to be considered in the total "bill of health" for a canopy, am I correct in that assumption?

How many jumps on a canopy would make you worry? For instance, on a skydiving main I wouldn't bat an eyelash at a canopy with 500 jumps, but if I saw something for sale with 1000 jumps on it I'm probably going to keep shopping.

Thanks for the help...

Elvisio "sick of just livin' on the edge, wanna start jumpin' off it" Rodriguez

there are a million different factors that go into whether or not a canopy is "airworthy".

your right;)

However i personaly have some guidlines i personalyfollows...

If i have a canopy that never had been in trees or water i probaly gives it the lifetime whith in 3-400 jumps,to that you´ll need to considder if the canopy did land in trees or water,and take that off the amount of jumps in the total.

I guess i wouldnt buty a canopy whith a total of jumps above 200 unless i would need a "trash"canopy,that should be used on jumps were i know it might be a water lanmding/tree or bush landing or on jumps whith high bust factor.But i guess i wouldnt buy a canopy just for thouse jumps:P

When we talk about skydiving RESERVES, anything with more than a handful of jumps better have some good stories coming with it or it is going to be hard to sell used.

or cheap to me to buy...:ph34r::D i really never understanded why people wonder as soon as a skydive reserve got more than 1 jump.. its TSOéd and i wouldnt have any problems jumping any reserve whith 50-100jumps on it.But good for me it means its easy to get a cheap reserveoh well i then only need a harness,main and an ADD;):ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I figure water landings need to be considered in the total "bill of health" for a canopy, am I correct in that assumption?

I have been told by a manufacturer that one water jump is equal to about 20-25 jump. Also, that "most" base canopies get 200+ jumps on them.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I have 4 base canopies that I have been jumping. The one with the most jumps is my Fox 285. It has no water or tree landings and has a little over 300 jumps on it, mostly slider off. I consider it still quite airworthy and as most of the jumps were slider off, it doesn't even need a line replacement yet. The things I have had done are: Vent covers, steering line replacements. The most regular wear I have is the brake stow loops, which I have changed out the lower steering lines 2 or 3 times.

So, I think a BASE canopy can go for quite a few jumps, depending on water landings which do take a toll. Also, "combat packing" in dirt and sun conditions can do more damage than on a skydiving canopy that is packed indoors on a carpet.

Would I buy a canopy for BASE with 300 jumps. Maybe, if it was like my Fox. It might do just fine for someone starting base who wanted to feel it out and would end up putting less than 100 jumps on it. Sooner or later you will want two or more canopies anyway, and having one for those jumps where you don't want to lose the new one can be useful (as long as the one you are willing to lose is still serviceable, and not ragged out - Any BASE jump requires a serviceable canopy).

Ok, hope that was clear or at least lukewarm.

:)
t
==========================================

I didn't invent skydiving, but I jumped with the guys who did.

>>In your experience how often have you had to replace your tail pocket velcro? Lately I've been worried that line dump before stretch could cause all sorts of problems that WLO's might not clear on sldr up's. Since you've been crashin' and bangin' that Fox sldr off, have you ever had any problems with the tail pocket?

Thanks for reminding me. I should have mentioned that I just had the tail pocket velcro replaced also. I did push that a little, but was jumping in at a popular bridge in the Northwest and let it go a bit longer. When I left the bridge last November, I shipped the canopy off for inspection and repair, control line replacement etc. One of the things I asked them to do was replace the velcro, and yes, after 300 jumps, it did need replacing, but the tail
pocket seemed to still be doing the job, it was just beginning to get weak. OH, away from the canopy, I also had velcro replaced on the container anda new shrivel flap made.

> Lately I've been worried that line dump before stretch could cause all sorts of problems

My procedure/recommendation - ? If I am worried about something on my BASE rig, I fix it or get it fixed. It is worth it just so you don't think about it when you are standing onthe edge going, 3-2-1,
or whatever.

:)
t
==========================================

I didn't invent skydiving, but I jumped with the guys who did.

>>Yeah, kinda let the tail pocket velcro slide a little too but it's getting replaced. There's something to be said for piece of mind. Curious about how often/how much repairs are typically needed on a BASE canopy on average, and it sounds like that Fox is pretty durable.