jmfreefly

Cypress-2 Screen Blanking - Skydiving article

I just read the article in Skydiving last night. Does anyone else think that Airtec is making faulty logic over this problem?

Additionally, why isn't there ANY info on the cypress or cypress 2 website about this issue??

I contend that the control unit is part of the diagnostic system, and non-presentation of 'ok status' brings the unit's usability into question.
How can Airtec effectively say that the unit was
on and working properly (and would save my life) if no information is presented back to me? Based on what they say to look for in their manual as evidence of proper functioning, I would contend there is no way to know.

From the Cypress 2 manual p8:
"
When the display unit shows 0v, the self-test
has been completed successfully. If the selftest
has resulted in errors or discrepancies,
CYPRES will not assume operating mode but
will switch itself off after displaying an error
code. This error code indicates why the selftest
process was aborted (see chapter 5)."

p9:
"2. CYPRES has fail-safe error detection. Two
processes are activated in CYPRES once the
unit has been switched on: a primary working
process and an independently operating
controlling process that monitors the working
process continuously. In case of errors while
the working process is active, the backup
controlling process will switch the unit off."

---
So here is airtec's logic (as I can interpret it from the article)
1) the screen shows nothing on the ground after the jump.
2) If the unit got an error, it would have turned off.
3) Is this unit (with no screen feedback) on or off?
4) Go through the turn off sequence (which is the same as the turn on sequence).
5) Since the unit didn't turn on.. it must have been on already and turned itself off.

I see faulty logic there in 5. Just because the unit didnt turn on, doesn't mean that it WAS on before and is now off. (This is why I always disliked the fact that the on and off sequences are the same). If the unit is having a problem (as it OBVIOUSLY is, as the screen doesnt work), then it could also be affecting the 'on/off' functionality.

And just because it the unit can be turned on later, and the screen show proper functioning, doesn't mean that the unit was ready to save me with the screen off.

Does this concern anyone else? I am pretty sure my cypress-2 falls into the batch that may have this problem. In my opinion, this should be a 'send it back now and we will fix it' thing, not a 'we will address it at your next 4 year' (which is 3 years away for the units in this batch).

I guess they did say 'if you send it in early, we will fix it then at no charge', but it seems to me that this is being a little too lax about it.

The lack of information from airtec directly concerns me..

j

I don't want to get into debating their logic, because I think there is a more important issue: a lifesaving "black box" needs to have a clear way to know it's turned on and good to go.

Guessing it's on, or puzzling out that it must be on because it can't be off, or any other indirect indication is not good enough for something that is so opaque. (By opaque I mean you can't tell any other way that it's turned on and ready.)

So I say if the Cypres 2 is supposed to say "ok status" when it's running properly, and you don't see exactly that, get it fixed until you do.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I just read the article in Skydiving last night. Does anyone else think that Airtec is making faulty logic over this problem?

Yup. I'm with you on this one. One of our local jumpers presented the first indication of this problem early last summer and Airtec didn't see it as a big deal. They agreed to replace the unit, but the replacement failed in the same way. Another Cypress purchased at the same time as the first and used on the same jumps was fine.

Frankly, I think they should have recalled every single unit right away and made the required fix at no charge. Allowing those units to stay in the field with no way of knowing if it is on or off is crazy.

The response of Airtec to this problem makes no sense, and that is especially so given the new competition they face from the Vigil.

I like my original Cypress and would not have considered the Vigil until this problem. Actually, I still won't consider the Vigil because it doesn't have a field history, but in 2 years when my original Cypress needs replacement I'll carefully consider both options, including the manufacturers service/support history.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Senior Parachute Rigger
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I like my original Cypress and would not have considered the Vigil until this problem.

I don't want the Astra because it's too easy to turn off. (At least that's what I think; it has a slide switch with a clear plastic cover, and that's it. Scares me.)

Obviously, a Cypres that won't tell you it's turned on is just about as scary!

I don't have an opinion on Vigial yet because I haven't seen one.

Back to the original problem: I would calmly explain to my Cypres representative that I cannot accept a Cypres that fails to properly indicate that it is switched on and operational. Regardless of whether it is actually on, the lack of proper indication (and I'm assuming the manual says it's supposed to say "On" or whatever; I haven't actually played with one yet) is a confidence issue that I cannot overcome, and given the purpose of the device, the conditions under which I would need the device to actually engage (i.e. cut loop or die), and the price of the device, I would very much like them to take the unit back and see if they can fix it up, or swap it out for another one.

I agree that their response to this problem seems to make no sense, but I think some gentle pressure to ensure they know that you have a problem and you would like them to do something simple and reasonable about it could make you and their other customers happy.

But, yeah, sucks that they're not all "What? A customer is having an issue with our product? Find out everything, make it better, and see if anyone else has had this problem, immediately!"

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Summary of issue:

According to airtec, Cypress 2's mfg May-Late July may encounter this problem. Supposedly the ones mfg'd after that have a modification that prevents this problem:

After jumping, some units have their LCD screens blank. Airtec says this is a static issue that requires the right combination of temp/moisture/pressure.. (?), and doesn't happen often. Airtec claims that the unit is still on (as if one does the on/off cycle 2 times, the unit is on -- faulty logic IMHO). Cycling the unit twice supposedly (not clear in article) brings the LCD back online.

Airtec said they will mod the units when they see them at 4 year, or if the unit comes in their shop earlier. They said they will fix any unit that a jumper sends in early at no cost to them.

My point is: if the LCD is blank, how does one know that it is working properly, as the LCD is part of the feedback loop. I contend that the answer is -- they really can't. I think they should be more diligent in getting the units fixed. (I think I am pulling mine out and putting my new vigil in until I get it back -- who knows how long it will take)

I think I am irritated just as much that there is NO information about this on their website. I told my rigger about this issue (he hadn't read his skydiving mag yet), and he looked for more info on airtec's websites and found no info.

j

My point is: if the LCD is blank, how does one know that it is working properly, as the LCD is part of the feedback loop. I contend that the answer is -- they really can't. I think they should be more diligent in getting the units fixed.

Thanks for the summarized info! Sounds as if Airtec doesn't take this as serious as it sounds..