andrewstewart

How to train for a gainer?

What is considered to be diligent training for doing a gainer?

I have about 30 hours of gymnastics training but it was mainly floor work. Is trampolining, spring board diving, or gymnastics most effective as a training mechanism?

I have raid Dwain's 'arials in base' article but it doesn't talk specifically about training, more about the progression beyond a simple gainer.

Thanks in advance,

- Andrew

Platform (or springboard, but platform is more like a BASE launch) diving training appears to be the best method.

If I were you, I'd post this question to either BLiNC or the ABA forum. The top experts on proper training for aerials are mostly Aussies.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"What is considered to be diligent training for doing a gainer?"

That's a great question Andrew. You will probably get different answers from different people. Here's what I can offer you. I suggest you practice at a pool. Launching from a solid base is more realistic for most exit points. If you have access to a solid diving platform, then obviously that's ideal. If you don't have one available then I suggest you practice standing exits from a spring board and running exits from the edge of the pool. While practicing at the pool, focus on looking at a point (that's behind you before you start the rotation). On a BASE jump this point would possibly be the exit point...makes for a sweet visual. The danger you're training to avoid is either under rotating or over rotating. Why? Because deploying in an unstable body position can result in several problems, such as bridle entanglement, pilot chute-in-tow, off heading openings, and line twist. Here's the HOT TIP. Once you have rotated to a head down body position, you can safely deploy. Any momentum will continue to rotate your body towards a belly to earth position as your parachute is extracted from the container. If you were to wait until you were flat belly to earth to deploy, you have a high chance of over rotating as your parachute comes out. So, while practicing at the pool, try to learn how to enter the water headfirst and vertical. Hitting the water is the ending point of your practice jump at the pool...like wise, this head down body position is the first moment of your rotation when it's safe to deploy. This doesn't mean it's the ideal time to deploy. What I like to do is deploy once my body has passed through that vertical plain and IÕm at about a 45-degree angle; so I'm still not flat belly to earth. You'll have to figure out that perfect timing for yourself. But the window for a safe deployment is between the vertical head down body position and flat belly to earth. Having said that, I would like to stress an old saying that my first jump instructor told me back at Cedar Valley, Utah in 1984.

"When in doubt, whip it out!"

Here's another good one he told me
"Haste makes paste!"

And another
"Those who hesitate, inherit the earth."

Here's one I picked up along the way
"KNOW THY ALTTITUDE!!!"

My point is this. Your jump priorities (from exit until freefall ends) are:

1. PULL
2. PULL AT A SAFE ALTITTUDE (allowing enough time for your parachute to open completely)
3. PULL STABLE IF POSSIBLE

In other words, if you DON'T have enough altitude to get stable, then you must deploy unstable (as bad as that sucks, we usually get away with it...sometimes we don't). This leads to my next suggestion. DonÕt attempt your first gainer at the Perrine Bridge. Although itÕs not a low jump, itÕs not a high jump either. The best place to try your first gainer is Bridge Day or a similar object. Something you wont hit if you should have on off heading or line twist, and something high enough that you gain enough airspeed to right yourself before deploying.

Here are three more safety tips:

* When throwing your pilot chute, throw it strait out to the side; hard enough to stretch out the whole 9 feet of bridle. If you're deploying stable, this technique will keep your bridle and pilot chute away from your body and burble.

* When you open, your #1 priority is heading

* Never give up
B|
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

Man, that second pic is awesome... any chance of a hi-res version I can use for my wallpaper? ;) You can email it to the address if my profile if it's too big.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I'd like to add this: If you stall out on your back, all you have to do is pull your knees up to your chest, and voila' you will finish the rotation. Much better than flailing to roll over.

Tree :P