NoPush

Put up a good fight!

Hey all,

I'm not a BASE jumper but I got involved helping a friend and the result was positive so I thought I would share.

Info:
Jumped off a structure
structure security called Sheriff
Sheriff held ground grew who radioed Jumper
Jumper surrendered to protect ground crew and admitted Jump

Charges:
Rig confiscated - Not clear if it would be returned, most other BASE jumpers said no
Trespassing - Misdemeanor - Max fine $1000, Max jail 6 Months
County Jumping Ordinance - Misdemeanor - Max fine $500, Max Jail 6 Months

Case Filed:
Jumper admission
Ground crew intentions
Rig in possession as witnessed by Sheriff
Rig confiscated as evidence
Structure Security as Witness to Jump w/ rig
Pictures of No Trespassing signs, structure, etc.
Other misc. info

DA Offer:
Misdemeanor w/ $500 fine, 30 Days jail suspended in lieu of 1yr. Probation
Community Service (don't remember how many hours)
County Jumping Ord. Dropped
Loss of Rig

Action:
Pled Not Guilty, Hired hot-shot attorney friend for $750

Result:
Trespassing reduced to Infraction w/ $150 fine
Guaranty by court and DA to return rig within two days of fine payment entered in the judgment
County Jumping Ordinance Dropped

$900 bucks, the rig, clean record.......money well spent.

What seemed like a solid case by the DA against my friend got ripped apart by a good attorney. The whole thing almost got dropped but the plea bargain was too good to pass up and saved my friend from a second appearance two weeks later.

Cool shits and giggles.........

If you end up in a similiar pinch.......get a good attorney!

Just a little addition: Never sign a plea agreement without specifically stating that you will get your rig back when it's all over. The prosecutor will almost always go for it. Except in some national parks of course.
Sometimes if you go to the prosecutor with a written deal in hand, they will accept your offer and you won't have to go to court and you won't have to get an attorney. If you don't think the deal is a good one, get a lawyer. just my 2 cents.

Nice...was that in Ca. ?

Video ? B|

Edit: Thanks.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I'll PM you the state.......

edited to add......I don't want to share much more publicly as I'm not a BASE jumper and don't really know the rules to this forum or the BASE sport for that matter.

I posted because I was surprised how every BASE jumper, or skydiver for that matter, had a different experience or opinion on how to solve the situation my friend found himself in. I thought the topic would spark some good info for all.......

Cheers

is it ok to tell what the jumper's argument was to persuade the court into such a good deal for him? (I know having a good lawyer helps a lot in these cases, but what did this guy work off of?).

That's a good story though! B|

ps 750 is pretty cheap for a good lawyer! :P

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Hired a good attorney local to the DA

Admission was thrown out - You'll have to ask an attorney for the term they use

Ground crew intentions are irrelevant

Jumper Possession of the rig proved nothing

Confiscated rig was just a rig if it could not be proven it was used on that jump

Security could not describe jump point, rig color, jumper description at a distance, landing point, etc.

Sheriff testimony offered no evidence as well

Pictures of signs were irrelevant if they could describe how the jumper approached the site, were he was on take off and landing, etc.

Nothing in the either charge spoke to the fait of the rig and it's return was the basis for the whole fight.

Finally $750 is a great deal. We were quoted $1500 to $3000, so I asked for a favor......cheers to my attorney bud!