WrongWay

Bridge Day bad for newbies???

I have never done BASE before but am wanting to try it. I am ridiculously close to the New River Gorge, home of Bridge Day. But, I've heard from a few people that the bridge would be a bad place to start for a first timer. Why is this? If that's the case, where's a good place around Ohio or West Virginia? Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I really don't see why anyone would consider BD a bad place for a beginner (already an experienced skydiver) to start BASE jumping.

1) It's a bridge - arguably the safest category of object
2) It's legal
3) It's during the day
4) The water is an option on BD with several boats and shore-based rescuers present
5) LOTS of experienced jumpers around to help
6) BASE Seminars the day before
7) If you are injured, there are 4-5 ambulances on stand-by 50 ft from the main landing area

What reason did these people give? Does their reason outweigh the benefits listed above?

Maybe this person that told you this was comparing learning how to BASE at BD as opposed to learning at an actual First Jump Course? In which case, I could see their meaning.

My personal experience with BD was this: It was an Introduction into BASE jumping. Nothing more. I didn't go there to learn how to BASE jump. They will help you, don't get me wrong. But you won't leave there a BASE jumper. You'll have some cool t-shirts and all....but.

I had a very experienced BASE jumper tell me the same thing before I went to BD last year. And I took it to mean if I was just wanting to become a BASE jumper, and was on a tight budget, spend my money on a FJC instead.

I went to BD and loved every second of it.;)

The reason I was given was the crowd involved (distraction I guess) and the main reason was a shitty landing area, prolly cuz of rocks and water. How much generally is a FJC in BASE, and where can I go for it? I'm an experienced skydiver, but have never tried BASE.

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

Find me at the DZ and I'll point you to some BASE jumpers and see if they won't take you under their wing.

As for the FJC read Skreamers reviews.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

First Jump Course offerings are listed in the Getting Into BASE link at the upper right of this page.

They typically run about $1000, but the price usually includes some kind of discount if you are buying gear.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My first choice for a first BASE jump would be a FJC offered by a U.S. manufacturer (because the U.S. teaching object is probably the safest).

Bridge day would be a good second choice, for all the reasons given by Riggersam. I'd probably opt for Bridge Day over a course offered in Scandinavia or Australia, for example (although I'd likely choose a course in Croatia over Bridge Day). The biggest (really, the only) negative about Bridge Day is the distraction factor. It's a bit like trying to take a course in the midst of a huge party/carnival. Also, the Bridge Day instruction is geared totally toward that particular jump, and really doesn't (and isn't intended to) prepare you for jumping anything else.

There are several active jumpers near you. I recommend looking them up for advice and guidance, especially on your early jumps after a course.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sweet, I didn't even know there were BASE guys around here. Well I'll be damned.....but not today......... ;)

Thanks Phree!!

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

The biggest (really, the only) negative about Bridge Day is the distraction factor.

Last year's BD was my beer-th BASE jump. I can't speak for anyone else, but by the time I got on top of the bus, and particularly by the time I got to the edge, I was completely oblivious to the crowd.

Focus amidst chaos. Quite cool actually.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Last year's BD was my beer-th BASE jump. I can't speak for anyone else, but by the time I got on top of the bus, and particularly by the time I got to the edge, I was completely oblivious to the crowd.

Focus amidst chaos. Quite cool actually.

I completely agree, somebody could have been screaming my name and I wouldn't have noticed. The only thing I was thinking was 'head-high, head high' B|

~La La Gang Member #2~

Had you stayed at the campfire last weekend you could have asked a jumper all sorts of questions. ;) Just ask the right people and you'd be amazed about it. Tom pointed me to some really good resources when I wwas courious about it last year.

At this point its out of my system (with 0 jumps) but the thoughts are still back there after watching big wall wingsuit jump video. :|
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hmmm........don't think I know him........yeah I checked out early due to weather, but I have two extra tickets this weekend cuz of it!! B|

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

For what it's worth, my first jump was off a similar bridge (with a better landing area) in complete quiet and isolation except for my mentor. I am glad I wasn't surrounded by gawkers and onlookers and critical eyes and cameras and music. Jumping off a fixed object is a serious business which deserves serious focus. I'm glad I didn't try to do it at Bridge Day.

First Class Citizen Twice Over